• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1903A4 Find

Making progress, still have to fit a few things though. Need to oil the stock some more too I think, I've been using 50/50 mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil.

20220601_192054.jpg

I'm considering either a weaver 330 or a Lyman Alaskan as a stand in for the military versions of those scopes. Haven't decided on the direction I want to go with it yet. I feel like there's a good chance it would have had the latter since it's been rebuilt at some point.

I'm reading that the Weaver 330 WAS the original scope used on this rifle, and was marked as such for the first few thousand units up until the Weaver company restamped it with a military code number instead of the commercial model 330 designation, but except for the numbers stamped on the side, it's the same scope.

2E09D8C3-D76D-4333-A94D-7A7397C27B9F.jpeg

3/4" tube, same diameter lenses,
only 2.7 power magnification (The model 330 is sometimes written as 3–30 meaning a three power scope that was introduced in 1930).

I'm reading that the Weaver 330 WAS the original scope used on this rifle, and was marked as such for the first few thousand units up until the Weaver company restamped it with a military code number instead of the commercial model 330 designation, but except for the numbers stamped on the side, it's the same scope.

View attachment 4351124

3/4" tube, same diameter lenses,
only 2.7 power magnification (The model 330 is sometimes written as 3–30 meaning a three power scope that was introduced in 1930).

I've often read that as well (usually by folks trying to justify the scope being "original"), but no confirmable data to verify that. The adjustments were different on the issued scopes, whether the designation was electro-penciled or factory marked. Regardless, I'd rather have a real 330 or Lyman Alaskan than one of the current repros as at least they're of the same vintage as the rifle, even if the new reproductions are arguably better (depends on which scope).

Here's the other side... I think the scope matches well, does anyone know how to get a production date for lyman scopes?
View attachment 4438950

That scope looks like it’s always been there.

This may help with date of mfr:

Back
Top Bottom