• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 broken extractor

I haven't broken a 1911 extractor; but I did have one that wouldn't extract on a consistent basis. Stripped the gun down and it fell out of the slide due to no tension. I just replaced it and no more issues. Wilson Combat makes very nice replacement parts for not that much more than MIM stuff.

:becky:
:yo:

Don't mention it.

And like RamRoddoc RamRoddoc said - don't drop a round in the tube and then let the slide slam down on it. That's how I learned (the hard way) to adjust extractor tension. :doh:

Yep I figured it out the hard way too. I carried a 1911 for about a decade and when home removed the round religiously, leaving the round next to the mag and hammer down.

I did this as occasionally a round grew shorter, compressing the charge, not good. So I dropped it in the tube until it began to fail to eject... Dad schooled me on my error. :becky:

Captain Kaboom Captain Kaboom the only parts I’ve found on a 1911 that are drop-in are grips, grip screws, and springs.......usually!

There’s a bit of fitting to be done on a 1911 extractor. I haven’t watched the linked video above to see what they’re recommending, but if you want to come by my place I’ll be happy to fit one for you free of charge.

Captain Kaboom Captain Kaboom the only parts I’ve found on a 1911 that are drop-in are grips, grip screws, and springs.......usually!

There’s a bit of fitting to be done on a 1911 extractor. I haven’t watched the linked video above to see what they’re recommending, but if you want to come by my place I’ll be happy to fit one for you free of charge.

Gotta love the fine folks on ODT!

Sure can't beat free!

Thank you for the extremely generous offer! Looks like it is just applying pressure to bend the extractor to the right tension. One of the great parts of this hobby is learning; I already have the old extractor out ready for the transplant. If I can't get her back running properly I may take you up on it! :-)

Thank you all again!

Thank you for the extremely generous offer! Looks like it is just applying pressure to bend the extractor to the right tension. One of the great parts of this hobby is learning; I already have the old extractor out ready for the transplant. If I can't get her back running properly I may take you up on it! :-)

Thank you all again!

I have an extractor tension gauge to properly set correct tension. Also, I bevel the bottom edge of the extractor so the round slides up in the hook easier.

Back
Top Bottom