• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 in .38 Super vs .45ACP

I was told EXACTLY the same thing yesterday about caliber preferences in the 2 different countries from a guy that makes custom guns and has quite a few Colts on hand.

ahh, actually you need to talk to another guy I believe!
its not a matter of preference.
you see a great many countries its against the law (and there you might get hung, or put in jail never to be heard from again) for someone to own a weapon chambered in the caliber that the military uses, the 45acp-9 MM in most occurences.
now all that being said I am a avid 38 Super owner and shooter but as to collectible value I am not sure that one would be any more valuable than the other, I don't buy/own guns as collectible only as shooters.
so I would think manufacture/ several companies made 1911 Colt during war years, condition of the weapon, etc would determine collectable value.
IF you decide to buy a 38 super and fire it, be sure and check that's its Actually a 38 Super firearm.
this caliber started life as a 38 Automatic, later was changed to a 38 Super, then to a 38 Super Plus P.
the 38 Super operates at lot higher pressure than the 38 Automatic and will let the older 38 auto guns come apart when fired.
all three cartridge designations will chamber and fire in all three guns, the only outer difference in the cartridge is the head stamps.
hope this helps.

That and the fact that the original is in 45. The numbers 1911 and 45 just belong together. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do a second gun in another caliber but if I was going with just one 1911 it would have to be fo fiv.

For your next one because it can not be helped, get a 10mm and really get some punch. The Colt Delta Elite is a fine example of a 1911 in this caliber. Beautiful gun! Iv'e got three and one is in 10mm, it's a 6 inch long slide with about 500 dollars worth of upgrade parts I put in. My next 1911 will be the Colt Delta Elite.

Back
Top Bottom