• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 Light Primer Strikes

MrWilkey81

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
28   0
Reaction score
I just purchased a new RIA 1911 in 10mm. I took the gun out for the first time on Sunday and experienced multiple light primer strikes. Out of 200 rounds I had approximately 50 to 60 light primer strikes. Does anyone have an idea of what may be causing this? I'd like to fix it myself or at least have my local gunsmith take a look before I send the gun off for 4 to 6 weeks after only having it for two days. Any help is appreciated.

pull the slide and barrel off and completely disassemble it.. make sure both the extractor and firing pin tunnels are clean and have no burrs.

re-assemble the slide and then make sure you can easily push the firing pin and have it extend through the firing pin hole smoothly. firing pin should not hang up on the FP stop hole...

then test drop some of your ammo into the barrel(plunk test).

the back of the rim should be even with the end of the barrel hood.

A couple of questions about the ammo.
1 Factory or Reloads?
2 if reloads, could the primers be Magnum Primers?

Just curious as Magnum Primers are a little thicker and take more pressure to ignite.
If you don't find a problem with the firing pin you might want to check the hammer spring in the grip. You might need a heavier spring for the 10mm.

If the over travel screw on the trigger is not set correctly, the half-cock notch on the hammer will rub the sear as the hammer falls and slow the hammer. A good test is to verify the gun is empty, hold the muzzle straight up and place a wooden pencil in the barrel with the rubber eraser against the breech face. Pull the trigger and the firing pin should strike the eraser hard enough to launch the pencil at least clear of the muzzle or even a few feet in the air. If it does, it's the ammo. If the pencil won't clear the muzzle, it's the gun.

If the over travel screw on the trigger is not set correctly, the half-**** notch on the hammer will rub the sear as the hammer falls and slow the hammer. A good test is to verify the gun is empty, hold the muzzle straight up and place a wooden pencil in the barrel with the rubber eraser against the breech face. Pull the trigger and the firing pin should strike the eraser hard enough to launch the pencil at least clear of the muzzle or even a few feet in the air. If it does, it's the ammo. If the pencil won't clear the muzzle, it's the gun.

I never knew about the pencil trick. I just tried it for ****s and giggles. It damn sure works!

If the over travel screw on the trigger is not set correctly, the half-**** notch on the hammer will rub the sear as the hammer falls and slow the hammer.

Exactly what I was about to suggest. Had this exact issue with my Springfield range officer new out of the box. Added some more over travel to the trigger and no problems since

It ended up being the firing pin spring. The one from the factory was too strong/stiff. I dropped in a new one from Wolff and now it will send a pencil flying. I also went to the range; good to go now. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom