• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 Parts comparison. Need advise on Wilson Combat vs. Wolf springs only

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I usually use Wilson Combat parts throughout my 1911 builds. I will always use 1911 hard parts but I got to thinking about Wolf springs. I have heard the name many times when researching parts and methods on 1911modifications. So I got to comparing price on just springs. I figure a penny saved here is a penny I can spend over there. I looked up the springs that I needed in their fraction of the cost but I'm not really sure the quality of their products. Is there any 1911 freaks out there that have used wolf springs and been happy with their performance? Or are they just another cheap outfit selling inferior Parts at a lower price? Like I say all of the hard Parts like triggers, safety, hammer, firing pin and parts of that nature I will always use Wilson Combat but I was thinking that maybe wolf springs might be just as good as Wilson Combat springs. Of course that's just a guess but I'm looking for some insight into their springs and any help you guys could give me or advice would be greatly appreciated. Please give me your ideas and thoughts on Wolf springs.

Thank you for shopping at ODT and have a blessed day.

Greg,

I have been very satisfied with Wolff Springs for the Colt 1911 and the Browning Hi Power. Also, Wolff's trigger conversion spring for the Beretta 92 is a phenomenal improvement.
Much appreciated my friend. I was thinking as long as I go with the same pressure it really shouldn't make a whole hill of beans difference but it doesn't hurt asking the community if you know what I mean. This will be my first time using them so I should be more confident with their performance next time. For three spring there is a 11 dollar difference. Pretty substantial!

Both Wolff and ISMI make great springs.

Wolff makes springs for EVERYTHING. You have a Polish Radom pistol? They'll probably have a recoil spring for it.

ISMI provides springs for a slightly more-limited selection of guns (mostly bigger brands). They shot-peen theirs, which is supposed to increase longevity, plus they originated as a company making valve springs for Indy cars. If they can handle 10,000 rpm on an engine for hours at a time, your 1911 is not going to stress them at all....

www.gunsprings.com for Wolff

www.ismi-gunsprings.com for ISMI

Wolff makes springs for EVERYTHING. You have a Polish Radom pistol? They'll probably have a recoil spring for it.

ISMI provides springs for a slightly more-limited selection of guns (mostly bigger brands). They shot-peen theirs, which is supposed to increase longevity, plus they originated as a company making valve springs for Indy cars. If they can handle 10,000 rpm on an engine for hours at a time, your 1911 is not going to stress them at all....

I agree. I used chrome silicone double valve springs on my LS engine and they kept the valve train intacked all the way up to 7300 RPM. There's a lot to be said for a good spring maker. I'll give them a look right now thank you so much.

So what's your recommendation I'm just using a firing pin, hammer spring and recoil spring. I'm using the flat spring probably from Ed Brown or Wilson Combat. So let me know which one do you think would be better for my application. Thank you so much.

I typically use ISMI springs in all my pistols, but have used Wolff in the past with zero issues.

Find the right weight to run with your preferred ammo and you'll be humming right along.

I'm sure there excellent springs the ismi springs but the only situation I see is the availability and variety of spring pressure is just not there. I'm sure if I look hard enough I could come up with a close variation but Steve Kelly at Wilson Combat gave me the exact pressures I need to obtain what I'm looking for and wolf and Wilson Combat has those so I might need to stick with them this time. I do appreciate all your help though
It's much appreciated and God bless you al
Greg

Back
Top Bottom