• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 Parts comparison. Need advise on Wilson Combat vs. Wolf springs only

Pardon the essay here....

I wish it were that simple, truthfully. I'd write a book and say "For a 5-inch Government Model in 10mm, one would need a 20# recoil spring and a 18# mainspring, in conjunction with an Extra Power Firing Pin Spring". But, shooter size, stance, grip strength, and other technique variables kick in, on top of different ammunition that can be used. Sure, a recommendation may come close, but I'll always opt for perfection if I can achieve it.

My first spring selection is the Mainspring (hammer spring). I use the lightest one that will give me 100% reliable ignition with the ammo I'm using. Handloaded 9mm with Federal primers may call for a 17#; 38 Super Major with CCI Small Rifle Primers may need a 19#. 23# is OEM/Mil-Spec. An Extra Power Firing Pin spring is always used, IMHO. It's nice to have that small bit of extra safety on non-Firing Pin Safety guns.

There are two methods of choosing the right Recoil Spring rate (but I always do the last "Test", especially on Major caliber guns (10mm's primarily):

1. Bill Wilson's Method: Use the heaviest Spring rate that will take the gun to Slide Lock whilst firing Weak Hand Only. This will generally result in a rate that is a touch higher than Method #2. The gun will wear less because it is taking less of a beating.

2. Rob Leatham's Method: This method is performance-based - "How does the gun ACT?"

First, guess which spring rate will be close. Put a target out around 5-7 yards with a small, well-defined aiming point (I use a black 1-inch paster). Being careful not to "muscle" the gun around, fire a very quick double-tap (a "Hammer", as defined by Jeff Cooper). Assuming you didn't put too much muscle into it, analyze the target. The first shot should be VERY close to the paster. Where is the second?

- if it is HIGH: The recoil spring is too soft and is not closing the slide with enough force, leaving the front sight in the air for the second shot. Bump up the spring rate a couple of pounds and try again.

- if the second shot is LOW: The recoil spring is too strong and is closing the slide too forcefully. This bump is pushing the front of the gun down and causing the low second shot.

Make your adjustments and try again. We're looking for consistency and no "input" from the shooter.

The final test (primarily on big guns) is to check velocities with a chronograph for a magazine full of cartridges. Are they relatively consistent? Wild velocity variations may be caused by the gun unlocking too soon, especially in 10mm guns with full power (180 gr. @ 1300 fps) ammo.

When I build a gun for a customer, I set it up with what I think will be right, but then help them select the right spring rate for them.

Back
Top Bottom