• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 Purist

TheGman

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
221   0
Reaction score
Not to start a war, but someone today scoffed at my Sig Sauer 1911 saying "no offense" but I am a purist when it comes to 1911s.
Now I became more curious as the day waned is that purist as in WW1 1911...whats constitutes a purist?
As John Browning originally designed it?
Internal versus external extractor?

I am really curious.

While I'm not a fan of external extractors and firing pin safeties in general, the thing that really turns me off to Sig 1911's is the slide profile. For me it's not so much about being a purist as it is the several thousand dollars of leather and kydex 1911 holsters I already own that don't fit it.

Well everybody has ideas.
Generally speaking most "1911 PURIST" don't really know what they are talking about actually.
just stuff they read on the net and hear gun clerks spout off about!
the 1911's that even the military uses or did use were not Pure 1911 John Browning design weapons. most all were 1911 A-1 varieties, which included 4-5 changes to the original design.
another interesting thing is those that say well shoot 230 grain ammo cause thats what John designed the 1911 to shoot!
No! john designed the 1911 to shoot and operate on 200 grain ball ammo, the Army designated the change to 230 grain ammo, actually I believe the Army originally specified 250 grain ball ammo.
so to each there own as to what they like in a 1911, personally I have some 8-9 different brands and as they all work well and on a very wide variety of ammo then that's the ones that I like the best.

Everyone has the opinion what is good and not cool. Jus like cars, guns, bikes, beer etc. the way I look at it if your happy with I'm happy too. Heck with you didn't ask them anyway.

Thanks all just wondering I agree on the changes over many many years.
I have four 1911 (2 are Sigs) . The Sigs shoot great as do the others including the old Colt.
Enjoy your Sunday guys.

Purists?
The ones who prefer those tiny little sights?
The ones that want guns that don't feed anything but ball?
The ones that want a gun you can't ride the safety or the slide chews holes in the web of your hand?
The ones that chew up brass?
The ones with no checkering that are harder to get a good grip on.
The ones who just have to have carbon steel.
The ones who like hammer bite?

I've owned Colts, Springfields, and a few others, and I like the way the Sigs are built.

Back
Top Bottom