• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 question

Freshly Minted Georgian!

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
304   0
Reaction score
So, never owned and never fired a 1911. Nonetheless when I was in my formative years as a lad I grew up in a military town and just about all my uncles and great uncles were in the military in WWII, Korea and/or Vietnam so to me when I think of handguns it is always the 1911 that immediately comes to mind. I want one, I'm gonna get one. I want a solid one, don't want to drop a couple grand so I figure if it was good enough to serve for so many decades a good ole fashioned GI configuration will suit me just fine, at least for my first one. I was poking around and saw RIA has a GI model for just over $500. My questions are simple.

Is RIA decent quality?

If I get a more vanilla "GI model" like this what will I be giving up that I simply don't know about that I'd get by default with a more high end 1911?

Thanks in advance all, appreciate it!

Usually you can find the RIA guns closer to 400 bucks.

The reviews are positive from the owners.

They will give you the experience in GI 1911s you are looking for.

There are some Turkish made 1911s being imported now that are of similar quality to the Philippine made guns.

I have a basic Turkish one and I think it's great value for money for a GI spec gun. I'd rank the quality a little better than the Philippines ones, but that may be on a gun by gun basis when it comes to fit.

People love RIA. Filipinos are serious 1911 shooters. I would go with a slightly upgraded model over the GI edition but I think they’re a good choice. I shoot Colt, STI, and Springfield currently. First 1911 is a learning experience and you’re looking at the right end of the spectrum. Check reviews on Buds.

Nothing wrong with a RIA 1911. It's an entry-level decent quality gun.

Thing is, if you don't like it or plan to upgrade you can generally sell it for close to what you paid.

Rock Island Armory is a great bang for the buck so to speak...quality is exceptional for the price. It’s also a great gun to learn the platform on. Colt still produces their GI 1911s and can be found used from about 600 and up.

Reactions: JWC
Really depends on what the OP wants to do with it. Odd plinking then RIA is fine. 9mm great. Home defence, I would look at 45.
If heavy use and competition, then you are going to be looking into fit, barrel fit, safety alterations, sights, etc.

I competed with 9mm and 40S&W 1911's (most of which I installed all internals and built my triggers the way I wanted them) for 8 years (and about 500K rounds through them) so love the platform. Eyes pulling me over to optic pistols now else I would still be running my 1911's (at the end, owned SVI's, a Tripp Custom and some heavily modified STIs (when they actually made decent pistols still)).

Back
Top Bottom