• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 question

The love affair with the 1911 its inherent perfection. Not only does it feel just right in the hand it points naturally. Gun co. spends millions on ergonomics. The 1911 has had perfect ergonomics for over 11o years.. Don't even start in the cosfom bit. They cAn be made into jewelry. Plus ,I have a have a 10mm. ( The best of both worlds.i

Never owned a RIA, but I like the basic style...gi grip safety, standard length guide rod, strong side safety, and no front slide serrations. I do like a little taller front sight better than the little bump ones though.

So, never owned and never fired a 1911. Nonetheless when I was in my formative years as a lad I grew up in a military town and just about all my uncles and great uncles were in the military in WWII, Korea and/or Vietnam so to me when I think of handguns it is always the 1911 that immediately comes to mind. I want one, I'm gonna get one. I want a solid one, don't want to drop a couple grand so I figure if it was good enough to serve for so many decades a good ole fashioned GI configuration will suit me just fine, at least for my first one. I was poking around and saw RIA has a GI model for just over $500. My questions are simple.

Is RIA decent quality?

If I get a more vanilla "GI model" like this what will I be giving up that I simply don't know about that I'd get by default with a more high end 1911?

Thanks in advance all, appreciate it!

I just acquired my first 1911. I don’t know why I waited so long! Set your budget and have fun on hunting for your first .45ACP!

So, never owned and never fired a 1911. Nonetheless when I was in my formative years as a lad I grew up in a military town and just about all my uncles and great uncles were in the military in WWII, Korea and/or Vietnam so to me when I think of handguns it is always the 1911 that immediately comes to mind. I want one, I'm gonna get one. I want a solid one, don't want to drop a couple grand so I figure if it was good enough to serve for so many decades a good ole fashioned GI configuration will suit me just fine, at least for my first one. I was poking around and saw RIA has a GI model for just over $500. My questions are simple.

Is RIA decent quality?

If I get a more vanilla "GI model" like this what will I be giving up that I simply don't know about that I'd get by default with a more high end 1911?

Heres my 2cents, I've never owned a high end 1911 and probably never wont. I cant justify it.
For example, I have a ATI TITAN officer .45 1911
Mags are garbage and guide rod/spring are too
Easy fix. Now I run kimber mags a mags and the ultra carry 2 rod/spring. Yes there exactly alike. No issues to these day

Is RIA decent quality?

Good starter 1911. Has the feel and the look, most importantly, from my experience, it goes BOOM every time you pull the trigger! May want to upgrade to good mags, I use Kimber, and it will "bite" you unless you change the beavertail. Never bothered me much though. Good luck and have fun!!

I'll stick with my dinosaur

Yup, love the 1911 platform. The Sigs are my personal preference, but I like my Kimber, Colt, Springer, and even a beater Charles Daly. 45, 9mm, 38 Super. No 10mm (yet) haha

The best 1911 for the cheapest money is the Taurus, its the only gun they make that I would own.

Back
Top Bottom