• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 question

Give me the Springfield milspec model as well.Great platform of known quality.Saw brand new ones for 499.99.Alot of 1911 for the money IMHO.Ive had a little of everything and the 1911 will forever be one of my favorites.Good luck in your quest.

C1949FBF-045D-42C2-B13F-F7409A1DA6B6.jpeg
Para makes a awesome bench fit gun for the money. Around $500

The only problem with The 1911 platform is... once you own and shoot one you are hooked for life. In my opinion nothing else shoots as sweet. I’ve never owned an RIA but i have friends that do and like them a lot. I think Springfield would be my entry if I was just starting with them. I own Colt, Springfield, Baer, DW and STI. Enjoy...

A GI model RIA can usually be found for a hair under $400 online. I don't see any in stock right now, but I'd be patient and wait for the better price.

RIA makes quality 1911s. They're not hand-fit ultra-high-dollar 1911s, but they are as good as anything else you're going to find under $1,000 despite being some of the least expensive on the market.

As far as what you're giving up with the GI model, you're limiting yourself to the sights that come on the gun which many consider to be underwhelming. It also ships from the factory with a true GI style beavertail, which can, just because the shape of it, not activate when you're trying to shoot it.

If you're dead set on the GI aesthetic or just want an inexpensive as possible gun for the range then the GI model is perfect. If you're more concerned about potentially upgrading the gun and modifying it to you liking then I'd suggest getting one of RIA's Rock 1911s. They tend to cost just a hair more than the GI models but come with more modern features like sights that are dovetailed in (which can therefore be replaced), an easier to disengage grip safety, skeletonized trigger/hammer, and a full-length guide rod.

If you ever plan on upgrading your front sight be sure that your front sight has a dovetail already cut.

If you're dead set on the GI aesthetic or just want an inexpensive as possible gun for the range then the GI model is perfect. If you're more concerned about potentially upgrading the gun and modifying it to you liking then I'd suggest getting one of RIA's Rock 1911s. They tend to cost just a hair more than the GI models but come with more modern features like sights that are dovetailed in (which can therefore be replaced), an easier to disengage grip safety, skeletonized trigger/hammer, and a full-length guide rod.
Just to note, RIA dovetails are not standard size. It's possible to replacements, just gotta be careful.

Also, I've heard Armscor (in Nevada) provides good support. But I've never had to use it.

In general, unless you specifically want GI, I'd recommend upgraded sights and extended beaver tail. That seems to be the standard configuration, if not designated as GI.

Back
Top Bottom