• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 question

Nah, you get some of the best responses when folks aren’t sure.
Well, I was looking around on Cheaper Than Dirt for a Taurus 1911 chambered in 40 S&W yesterday and I had some questions pop up about break-in procedures but it'll wait for another thread.

Well, I was looking around on Cheaper Than Dirt for a Taurus 1911 chambered in 40 S&W yesterday and I had some questions pop up about break-in procedures but it'll wait for another thread.

By all means weigh in......break in periods are of interest to me too. I'd hate to "rely" on a factory firearm only to realize in an emergency that I needed to run 500 rounds through it before it was considered reliable.

Have to disagree with this. My RIA is a solid gun and never had an issue with it. All 3 Kimbers I owned were junk right out of the box, none of the 3 were ever reliable regardless of ammo, round count, or brand of magazines used.
I have heard this about Kimbers over the years,and for it to be said that many times for as many years as Ive heard it.....I dont want to believe it, but there must be some truth to it.Never owned a 1911 from them,just some of their older rifles,which I was very happy with.Maybe they should just stick to their rifles.You would think they could get 109 year old design right.Im sure all of them arent bad but enough of them arent,making it a common complaint.

I have heard this about Kimbers over the years,and for it to be said that many times for as many years as Ive heard it.....I dont want to believe it, but there must be some truth to it.Never owned a 1911 from them,just some of their older rifles,which I was very happy with.Maybe they should just stick to their rifles.You would think they could get 109 year old design right.Im sure all of them arent bad but enough of them arent,making it a common complaint.
I have owned dozens of Kimbers. NEVER had an issue with one....EVER. Have watched 2 different friends RIA fail in front of my eyes. Best 1911 I ever owned was a Kimber customized by Pedro Ortiz....I am an idiot for letting it get away. Wilsons, Browns, and Nighthawks I have owned that cost twice as much didnt shoot or run any better than that gun.

Most of the reputation for bad quality on Kimbers came in the early 2000's on an internet forum over MIM parts Kimber started using...no one was having any issues, they just didnt like MIM parts.....

What Ive noticed was their stories were pretty consistent (the ones having issues)in that they couldnt get them to run 100%;slides not locking on last round;and all "claimed" to try diffrent mags/ammo....had shot other1911's for years yada,yada...who knows???Ive had Llamas;RIA;Colts;Argentine ;even the most ratty rattle box abused Colts, when in the military etc. All have been good with no issues.So few failures that I only remember 1 steel case that stove piped...so when I hear people with problems with a 1911....I just shrug and scratch my head....I cant relate.I know that I 100% trust my life with all the ones Ive owned and carried.

Back
Top Bottom