• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 question

I’ve owned a bunch of them, built 4 or 5 from a bare frame. I’ve spent a couple grand on a 1911, and bought a RIA in a pawn shop once. I’ve had small ones for carry and a few for target shooting. I find that they fall into two catagories: project guns or box stock/leaving it alone guns.

I have a USGI copy that I built because I wanted one. I have no intention of shooting it much. It has the small sights, GI stiff trigger and that’s fine. And I have a Colt pawn shop project gun that I knew I’d change all the parts to suit me, and it does. If you want to shoot it much, get something with Novak sight cuts so you can swap the sights easily. Almost any 1911 will accept a drop in hammer/sear/disconnector/spring set from Cylinder and Slide or Frerking (Marvel) and you won’t believe it’s the same gun.

I recently played with a Tisas 1911A1 and it was a lot of fun for the price, very well made. If you want a USGI copy, they are the best deal going. If you want budget play toy to swap parts in, get a RIA with dovetail sights. Higher up the food chain project gun, Colt or SA. Just going to buy it and shoot it and want a warranty, get a Ruger or S&W. Good luck!

My last project 1911:

A PSA frame I built into a USGI clone:

Attachments

• 3EB2C24B-68AA-4A76-9962-E4E3CDF9149C.jpeg
    3EB2C24B-68AA-4A76-9962-E4E3CDF9149C.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 9
Still don’t understand the obsession with 1911s.

Outdated pistol based around an outdated cartridge

:behindsofa:
Your close enough to come shoot with me some time at Ga.Gun Club...wont cost you a nickle.Bring or we can rent whatever you like to shoot side by side comparison.Ill be shooting a bone stock Springfield RO.I dont think youll have those same sentiments when we leave.:)

Still don’t understand the obsession with 1911s.

Outdated pistol based around an outdated cartridge

:behindsofa:

I suspect many of us grew up shooting them. Aside from that, the 1911 offers fantastic ergonomics and, oftentimes, a fantastic trigger. They're very easy to shoot well. Many 1911 fans tend to be tinkerers or, at least, might enjoy nerding out to firearms mechanics. I think chambering for 9mm has attracted a lot of the curious to jump onboard.

Your close enough to come shoot with me some time at Ga.Gun Club...wont cost you a nickle.Bring or we can rent whatever you like to shoot side by side comparison.Ill be shooting a bone stock Springfield RO.I dont think youll have those same sentiments when we leave.:)
Oh I’m not denying they shoot good. They shoot real good. But they’re heavy single stacks and .45 acp is a dinosaur. Cartridge that should've died a few times now but it lives on solely because of the 1911.

So, never owned and never fired a 1911. Nonetheless when I was in my formative years as a lad I grew up in a military town and just about all my uncles and great uncles were in the military in WWII, Korea and/or Vietnam so to me when I think of handguns it is always the 1911 that immediately comes to mind. I want one, I'm gonna get one. I want a solid one, don't want to drop a couple grand so I figure if it was good enough to serve for so many decades a good ole fashioned GI configuration will suit me just fine, at least for my first one. I was poking around and saw RIA has a GI model for just over $500. My questions are simple.

Is RIA decent quality?

If I get a more vanilla "GI model" like this what will I be giving up that I simply don't know about that I'd get by default with a more high end 1911?

Thanks in advance all, appreciate it!
Listen close, no one wants you to hear this. Shop around for an old Norinco 1911. Harder steel, harder parts. So far, unjamable. I love my Norinco. I have had RIA which I loved, a comarron, and a few other. I would only avoid ATI and Remington.

Oh I’m not denying they shoot good. They shoot real good. But they’re heavy single stacks and .45 acp is a dinosaur. Cartridge that should've died a few times now but it lives on solely because of the 1911.
...and the dozens of other pistol, pdw, and carbine platforms that benefit from it. I've heard a lot of wind, but never that .45acp is outdated. It has tons of uses, suppressed fire is only one of them... makes a pretty nice revolver round too.

Say watcha want about 1911's, but .45 auto is here to stay.

Listen close, no one wants you to hear this. Shop around for an old Norinco 1911. Harder steel, harder parts. So far, unjamable. I love my Norinco. I have had RIA which I loved, a comarron, and a few other. I would only avoid ATI and Remington.
Norinco's are tits if you get em worked on. Made from railroad tracks.

If what your saying is true,why do alot of the spec.op guys and contractors still choose both this caliber and platform to go into harms way against the worst of the worst .Its not exclusively used as other platforms are also utilized,but its ballistics and the platform that houses it are far from outdated as you ascribe.A thug may feel inclined to "slap"a Glock 19 outa your hand because hes not intimidated,however even King Kong is gonna wither when looking at the buisness end of a 45 1911 when there is a determined looking individual at the controls.45's let a lot of air in and a lot of blood out.

Back
Top Bottom