• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 question

At that price point I agree, but to get that weapon with those features down to that price, a LOT of corners had to be cut, and most of them are items I just can't accept going cheap on. For my money, the more accurate statement would be

Have you ever owned one and if so, how many rounds have you put through one?

Have you ever owned one and if so, how many rounds have you put through one?

2 of them. I gave them each 500 rounds and a detail strip and had seen enough. I've owned at least one of pretty much everything available in a 1911, and have yet to find anything in the entry level class that performs like I expect a 1911 to. There are plenty of guys out there that are happy with them, but for my use, at the round counts I put through my guns, I find the higher end 1911's to be a better bang for the buck.

Last edited:
No real issues, both of them functioned adequately in the limited use I gave them. I would be interested to see someone do a long term, high round count test of one.

As far as what I didn't like goes, it was all necessary evils to make the gun fit at it's intended price point. The internals are junk. Obviously they're going to be MIM, but they're not even well done MIM. To compound that, there are more variances from correct 1911 specs that I would accept, and what for parts were in spec, the tolerances were spread pretty far across the acceptable limits. Over any serious use that's likely going to spell tolerance stacking, which would be a pain to correct because of the spec issues. On the two examples I had, the barrels were both incorrectly timed, and one of them had a very poorly fit barrrel link that wasn't even the right length. On the plus side, they do at least have a forged frame and slide, which is more than can be said for all the Filipino 1911's that have hit the market in recent years.

I put a lot of rounds through my guns in a year both in individual training and in taking and teaching group training classes. At those round counts, the differences in quality start to show up a lot more. I'm not willing to accept any MIM in a 1911. That's a personal choice based on experience. The other side of that coin is that to get a well built 1911 with no MIM, you're up into the $1200+ price point. For my use, that's an acceptable tradeoff. For others it isn't. It's up to the individual end user to determine where that line is for them.

Last edited:
i actually had a taurus pt1911, my wife and i shoot a bunch, we have a rifle and pistol range at the house, we normally compete who can shoot empty 12ga. shells at 50 feet, "the most in a row" my dan wesson and smith i can usually get at least 6 of 8, i shot 3 clips through the taurus and got 0. not sure if it was that particular gun or what but it was not accurate. even on paper it was inconsistent at distences farther than 50ft. just my 2 cents.

Not sure about Taurus 1911 models, but I shot one of their 24/7 models, and that was enough for me not to want to buy anything with that name. May have been an isolated bad experience, but ....

That would be a fair assessment. Not saying they don't have a place, they just don't have a place in my safe.

+1
I have not even fired one of their copys but Taurus does have a horrible track record in my experience. Of 5 Taurus pistols and revolvers I have owned every one has had issues.

I do however own a couple of Springers and can highly recommend the loaded target at the OPs price point.

The Springfield website has the answers you seek about the differences in the models

Back
Top Bottom