• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911's are heeeaaavy.......

Man, the things you do when you're stuck on a plane and booored!

Weight of an unloaded G21: 26.28oz
Weight of 1 round of 230grn FMJ .45ACP: 322grns, or .736oz
14 rounds of 230grn FMJ: 10.30oz
26.28 + 10.30 = 36.58oz

Weight of an empty USGI 1911A1: 39.04. So right there, the empty 1911A1 weighs MORE THAN a fully loaded G21, without including the weight of the magazine of either. Anyone actually think an empty G21 mag weighs more than an empty single-stack 1911 mag? Glock states on their website that a fully loaded G21 weighs 38.48oz (still less than an empty 1911A1), but they don't state what weight ammo was used, and they're including the magazine. I don't have a G21 magazine handy to weigh.
8 rounds 230grn FMJ (for folks that use 7rd mags): 5.89oz
9 rounds 230grn FMJ (for folks like me that use 8rd mags): 6.62oz
With 8 rounds: 39.04 + 5.89 = 44.930z
With 9 rounds: 39.04 + 6.62 = 45.660z

So, a fully loaded G21 DOES NOT weigh more than a fully load (or even empty) 1911.

Cool! So for less weight, I can have TWICE the capacity. And if I carry TWO spare magazines I can carry a total of 40 rounds with a Glock or UP TO 21 with a 1911. AWESOME! Guess which way I'm going. (actually I carry a G30S or G33).

Cool! So for less weight, I can have TWICE the capacity. And if I carry TWO spare magazines I can carry a total of 40 rounds with a Glock or UP TO 21 with a 1911. AWESOME! Guess which way I'm going. (actually I carry a G30S or G33).

I carry many different guns, depending upon many factors. One of the factors I've never used is how much the overall system weighs.

I carry many different guns, depending upon many factors. One of the factors I've never used is how much the overall system weighs.
Me either. The spare mags are in the back pocket. But the gun weight DOES matter. On the belt it makes the difference between concealed carry and bustin slack. ;)

Actually I think in terms of "bang for the buck". And a double stack that weighs in under the single stack and LITERALLY doubles the capacity is a no brainer to me. Then there are the advantages of concealability and comfort and corrosion resistance. 1911's have hammer and external safeties, which dig into your side. Glocks don't.

For me, everything about a Glock, beats everything about a 1911...except looks. And my carry gun isn't for looks. It's for getting the job done. Like me. I looked in a mirror a long time ago and decided I better get the job done cause I'd starve if I was counting on my looks.

I love 1911's for shooting at the range, but because of my handgun experience, which isn't limited but is challenged, SAO is not my best option.

Just like rifles, I like a little weight on my handguns. Not a brick, just a little weight. If 1911's were SA/DA, I would be much more interested.

I love 1911's for shooting at the range, but because of my handgun experience, which isn't limited but is challenged, SAO is not my best option.

Just like rifles, I like a little weight on my handguns. Not a brick, just a little weight. If 1911's were SA/DA, I would be much more interested.

Well, it's not a DA/SA but it's a DAO...

http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/lda/ldaCarry_45.php

Not for me. I would prefer SAO to DAO...maybe...But If I'm going to use a hammer fired gun I want SA/DA...Otherwise I'll stick with striker fired. The simpler the better for me. I figure most altercations that happen in our society last 3-5 seconds, so quick and simple is my best chance to survive. Of course I may be wrong about that 3-5 seconds...

Edited: I do have a j frame 638 in DAO, unless I cock the shrouded hammer, but it serves a special purpose of its own.

Not for me. I would prefer SAO to DAO...maybe...But If I'm going to use a hammer fired gun I want SA/DA...Otherwise I'll stick with striker fired. The simpler the better for me. I figure most altercations that happen in our society last 3-5 seconds, so quick and simple is my best chance to survive. Of course I may be wrong about that 3-5 seconds...

Edited: I do have a j frame 638 in DAO, unless I **** the shrouded hammer, but it serves a special purpose of its own.
The ONLY SA/DA guns I know of are Taurus's with "re-strike" capability. Now DA/SA is common.

Edited: I do have a j frame 638 in DAO, unless I **** the shrouded hammer, but it serves a special purpose of its own.

I did not use vulgarity here.

Back
Top Bottom