• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1940 quarter

Proof is a method of manufacture and for the most part there is no Proof mark on coins. Proof means they polish the dies, polish the blank and strike the coin twice to bring up all the details. They are specially handled and packaged. Regular coins are struck once and drop into a hopper with a whole lot of other coins.

Your coin is special because it is a survivor. Not being in great condition means that it was carried and used in commerce and might have even been in a GI's pocket during WW II. Enjoy it for what it is and think about all the stories it could tell if it could only talk.

When the mother in law passed and we cleaned out her house I took a few old jugs full of coins and was bored today and dumped one out. Was sorting the coins and noticed the quarter gave a different “clink” when thrown into the quarter pile, new by the sound it was silver but didn’t know if being 1940 made it special, it is missing the proof mark which is supposed to make it worth more, wish it was in better condition.
Thats a very distinctive "Klink". I believe it would wake me in my sleep

Back
Top Bottom