• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1948 Jeep CJ2 - need help

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
I have a 1948 CJ2 jeep, the first civilian jeep made after WWII.

It's not in original condition, but it's close.

Along the way some one replaced the original flathead 4 cyl. with the later 4 cyl. "F" head "Hurricane" engine (look that up, one of the more bizarre engineering feats.

The engine is not running, it has a timing issue, but it's not lock up. Running gear is in good shape.

But, here's the biggest issue.

The Carter carb on the Hurricane engine is too tall for the original military jeep hood, so Bubba made a "scoop" for the taller carb.

Now there is an aftermarket carb that will work and let you use the original Jeep sheet metal.

I want to have someone put the new carb on, get this thing running so I can have a toy to play with. There is all sorts of material on the interweb about how to do this, it's not at all experimental. Apparently the swap was a popular one back in the day, as it cranks up the HP to a smoking 70.

I cannot find anyone in Athens who wants to work on it. Money is not really an object. Does anyone know someone in NE GA who is capable and willing to do this work, and get it done? If the engine needs work, so be it.

Along the way some one replaced the original flathead 4 cyl. with the later 4 cyl. "F" head "Hurricane" engine (look that up, one of the more bizarre engineering feats.

The engine is not running, it has a timing issue, but it's not lock up. Running gear is in good shape.

The Carter carb on the Hurricane engine is too tall for the original military jeep hood, so Bubba made a "scoop" for the taller carb.

Now there is an aftermarket carb that will work and let you use the original Jeep sheet metal.

I want to have someone put the new carb on, get this thing running so I can have a toy to play with. There is all sorts of material on the interweb about how to do this, it's not at all experimental. Apparently the swap was a popular one back in the day, as it cranks up the HP to a smoking 70.

I cannot find anyone in Athens who wants to work on it. Money is not really an object. Does anyone know someone in NE GA who is capable and willing to do this work, and get it done? If the engine needs work, so be it.

The work is simple, but sourcing the parts is a real pain, and why no one wants it in their shop.

I have done this kind of work and have to charge the same for parts research ad I do for wrench turning. Plus storage fee as it takes forever to get the job done.

You can do the work ., it is HS shop class level of difficulty.

I saw you're looking for someone near you, but in case you wind up not finding somebody close, there is a shop here in my county that works on these. He's an old timer and has several in his shop he's restoring. It was fun looking them over while he looked at my '02 Wrangler.

He's not that good on modern Jeeps, but seems to know his stuff about the older ones...

I can get you his number if your nearby search doesn't come up with anything.

I'll be happy to do it. just let me know if you decide to bring it and i can get the parts before hand.

Back
Top Bottom