• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1968 Fairlane "Barn Find"

Fear Itself

Boar Icon
ODT Junkie!
21   0
Reaction score
I rediscovered this Fairlane three years ago abandoned behind a mechanics shop. When I saw it, I knew it was the same car that, 15 years earlier, I had offered good $$ for. Long story-short....Car had a bunch of fun money spent on it but the owner (friend of mine) got killed in the recession also. He had sold everything he had except this car he had basically hidden over at a garage where it was dragged around back under a big Oak and basically forgotten-until I found it!

This is what it looked like 15 years ago after fresh paint, new interior and motor rebuild, American Racing 15 X 8's, new top etc...
fresh paint 2000.jpg

Bad Ass, right?

This is what I found...

ratty car.jpg

This is what she looked like when I towed it to the shop. It had been hit by lightning-which managed to weld up almost every electrical connection in the chassis. Went through the drivers C pillar bow, down and out of the rear end into the ground. Cut a twenty foot trench across the back lot out from under the car! The tires/wheels were toast from sitting two inches deep in red clay for years, tranny was ragged from sitting empty, but the car was there and I knew the potential.

The paint is rough now from being mistreated so long. There are holes coming through the metal in places and an old repair panel under the drivers C pillar was almost blown out by the lightning strike, as best we can figure. Here are a few more pics of the progress.

ratty rear.jpg

Oh yeah-some truck backed into it while it was sitting-you know it would be right in the dang rollmark LOL

ratty hood.jpg

Here you can see where some yahoos opened the hood on frozen hinges while she sat!

So, I had the thought that I would build the car for my 16 year old but he is not into the vintage and I got him a Miata LOL

Here she is now after 1000 hours of blood sweat and tears. Just got the tranny finished and building the old Holly 600 again in the morning and she wil be somewhat roadworthy to a point-but the radiator is next. I boiled it out with acid about five times, but she needs replaced for hot weather.

Here you go
driver top down.jpg

front top on.jpg

Forgot to tell you I sold the ratty wheels and found a set of Magnum 500's off a "70 Torino. Got five with 45% BF Goodrich rubber for $300! Best deal I made all year Haha

Magnum 500s.jpg

Here's the little built 289. We just replaced a broken #8 spring and finished the transmission. Trying to get on the road in a good way. @nitrousfedlx is begging me to be in Commerce this weekend and I would like to be able to go in the Fairlane.

289 side.jpg

Wiring still needs cleaned up but the new MSD has brought it to life!
Interior was customized with panels of Houndstooth cloth like Bear Bryants hat, by the previous owner, You either love it or hate it!

interior.jpg

I shop vac'd about five gallons of dirt and mildew out of this interior to bring it, somewhat back to life.

Back
Top Bottom