• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1978 Cherokee Chief new toy/project.

The one problem you will find looking for a bumper is the Cherokee like the J series trucks are wider than the other wagons like the Grand Wagoneer and the bumpers etc. are too narrow and not interchangeable. They just wont fit so if you find one make sure to put a tape on it. the frame width is the same but not the outside corners. The bumpers off of a Grand Wagoneer will curl in too narrow and hit the sheet metal. I hope this saves you some headache

The Grand Wagoneers were the factory around town multi purpose vehicles and the Cherokee was the factory off road machine. I"d probably keep the winch bumper, give it just a little lift and a set of 33x12.50s and use it as intended.

Last edited:
The one problem you will find looking for a bumper is the Cherokee like the J series trucks are wider than the other wagons like the Grand Wagoneer and the bumpers etc. are too narrow and not interchangeable. They just wont fit so if you find one make sure to put a tape on it. the frame width is the same but not the outside corners. The bumpers off of a Grand Wagoneer will curl in too narrow and hit the sheet metal. I hope this saves you some headache

The Grand Wagoneers were the factory around town multi purpose vehicles and the Cherokee was the factory off road machine. I"d probably keep the winch bumper, give it just a little lift and a set of 33x12.50s and use it as intended.

Thanks for the information. Will a j10 or j20 bumper work? Yeah a 3" lift and 33" tires is a nice option, and pretty cheap. If I get tired of the stock height and ride, that's the most I would go. I'll keep the winch bumper, and just repaint it for now. The warn x8000i I think needs new solenoids from not being used for several years. It clicks if trying to spool in, and doesn't do anything when trying to spool out. Hope it's just the solenoids.

Pickup bumper should work but use a tape measure to make sure. Not sure but I believe Cherokee Chief has the same suspension as a Honcho. If so 33x12.50s may fit without lift. That was a factory tire size for some full size jeeps and I believe yours may be one of them.

It has 31x10.5r15's on it now, not sure if 33" tires would fit or not. Might have to trim the metal fender flares, but would just assume put new suspension under it before I started cutting on it.

Back
Top Bottom