• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Swamplion

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
__Hopefully this makes sense and bear with me__
My father passed in October of 2019, before his passing he asked my wife to drive my 1996 Ford Ranger XLT up to Athens, so that I would have a truck to drive as my health improved since sustaining severe TBIs. Since my father's death I lost my tools and equipment I had from neighbors who took advantage of my severe health complications and my father's terminal health conditions "borrowing tools" and they never returned them.
There were many things that I could do myself before my TBIs and only so much that I can do now since which is not easy to admit.
I have fought hard and kept my oaths, pledges and my sacred word of honor to not give up and now I am improving, but neurological complications are a fight every day. For instance, I have endured being in a walking coma as well as I have had to teach myself how to walk, talk, read and write all over again.

To the matter at hand, my pickup went from running to eating batteries like there is a parasitic drain in the electrical system. Now the truck simply doesn't do anything when I reconnect the battery and it looks like the fuses were changed but nothing is happening. I knew that I had to keep turning the truck over to keep everything going, but when you are struggling to walk it was difficult to make certain that the truck's engine was being turned over.
My mechanic buddy worked on the truck with me to get it running and it had to do with the fuse boxes and getting it right but unfortunately he is no longer with us.
Both my father and buddy's absence has been hard along with other issues that I have had to cope and forge through, it is my hope that maybe a few or many of you could lend some insight into what I can do to get my truck running and back on the road.

Both of my wife and children are wanting to go hunting and fishing with me and the truck just makes it easier.
I do not have a lot of capital that I can invest in this, but I would appreciate any help insights getting my means of freedom running and driving again.

It runs the larger 4.0L V6 engine, strong automatic transmission, and has a 3.73 gear ratio in the 8" rear axle.
Other features is that it is an extended cab with 4wd and the regular size pickup bed.
(Hopefully this makes sense)
Thoughts?

If it's completely dead then it is probably the fusible link on the main positive battery cable that goes down to the starter. Do any of the lights work when you hook up the battery?
Yes.
I attached the battery and after putting the key in the ignition the door starts to sound off with the door being open

When turning the key to On the "Check Gauge" Light came on

Upon going to Start the Engine Clicks once and the "Brake" Light comes on

After taking from the Start to the On position the "4wd" Light comes on

After three tries, I disconnected the battery and returned to report the above.
Thoughts?

Yes.
I attached the battery and after putting the key in the ignition the door starts to sound off with the door being open

Thoughts?
You don't have a volt meter by any chance do you? Sounds like you still got a dead battery or bad connection/ short in your battery cables.

Yes.

Thoughts?

The clicking your hearing is the starter solenoid not having enough power to turn the starter motor. You either have a bad battery or corrosion on the cables

if the battery is over 3 years old-start there-replace battery
Advanced Auto Parts replaced it once because they gave me a faulty battery. They refuse to replace the one prior to this purchased one but I will put it on the charger and see if it needs more charge.

Back
Top Bottom