• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2 year shelf life ammo?

Dave550

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
44   0
Reaction score
I was in Walmart yesterday and just peeked at the ammo selection they had while the wife was shopping. The guy at the counter at this store was actually really eager to help and tried to sell me all kids of ammo. He said that I should stock up on ammo and think about getting enough to last a lifetime because (he said) there’s legislation in process to require ammo manufacturers to put an additive in their powders that will make all ammo have only a 2 year shelf life- beginning 2024.

I hadn’t heard of this - so I did a few searches on the interwebs and still can’t find anything mentioning it.

Anyone heard of this? Or was they guy just a little paranoid? Although it wouldn’t surprise me to hear that the current administration would try something like that.

I was in Walmart yesterday and just peeked at the ammo selection they had while the wife was shopping. The guy at the counter at this store was actually really eager to help and tried to sell me all kids of ammo. He said that I should stock up on ammo and think about getting enough to last a lifetime because (he said) there’s legislation in process to require ammo manufacturers to put an additive in their powders that will make all ammo have only a 2 year shelf life- beginning 2024.

I hadn’t heard of this - so I did a few searches on the interwebs and still can’t find anything mentioning it.

Anyone heard of this? Or was they guy just a little paranoid? Although it wouldn’t surprise me to hear that the current administration would try something like that.

I wouldn’t worry about it, we’ll probably all be dead by 2024…

This urban legend has been circulating for years.

From a chemical stand point, it would be challenging to inactivate primers or powder. There would be a period of time where the ammunition went from full power to inert. If the ammunition were to be used during that transition time the ammunition could produce a "squib load" which could leave a bullet in the chamber. This would be a major liability to ammunition manufacturers.

Just got to kill the primer.
CCI could run a class on that, years ago I had two boxes of two year old aluminum case .45acp that every one had a dead primer.

Used to be primers that were going to have a limited shelf life, but nobody has primers now so no fear value. Folks do find powder from time to time so I guess we're supposed to be afraid our powder is going to go bad. These rumors never stop.

Pure Fuddlore.

Back
Top Bottom