• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

20 year and 15 year sentences for flag waving disrupters in Douglas county

Anyone thought he did that on purpose? I'm just musing here, but what if he was thinking it'd leave grounds for appeal and a more appopriate sentencing while cleansing his hands of the whole ordeal. He gets to say "look I did all I could for my constituents but I've been overruled by a higher court", essentially leaving an out while still appeasing the populace. Hope it backfires but that's how lawyers and judges think sometimes...sleazy bastards are just that. Not saying that's what he's thinking, even the blind squirrel finds a nut, but I wouldn't put it past them. IANAL, so it may not even work that way and as always YMMV. County is a ****hole anyhow, glad we moved from Post Rd in the 80's.

I think it was probably a case of pandering as MRH MRH said.

But that's the problem - what you described would not and does not happen. The sentences would be much lighter.

And in fact it did not happen. The trouble started when they were driving by, and by all accounts they were oblivious to a birthday party beforehand, and the other trouble happened at another location. The ones at the birthday party were just as accountable for instigating the trouble by not.simply ignoring those guys driving by.

Not a fan of the hate crime classification, but the facts presented in the case also are presumably supported by the testimony of the perpetrators who took plea deals and got much lighter sentences.

If they did roll up on the party and point guns, including at at kids, a stiff sentence is warranted. Maybe not 20 and 15, but I'm not going to cry for the two idiots going to jail for a long time.

Being an American means living with people you don't necessarily like. It's your right to not like them, for whatever reason suits you. However, as soon as you start violating the rights of others based on your dislike, you better be prepared for consequences.

Anyone thought he did that on purpose? I'm just musing here, but what if he was thinking it'd leave grounds for appeal and a more appopriate sentencing while cleansing his hands of the whole ordeal. He gets to say "look I did all I could for my constituents but I've been overruled by a higher court", essentially leaving an out while still appeasing the populace. Hope it backfires but that's how lawyers and judges think sometimes...sleazy bastards are just that. Not saying that's what he's thinking, even the blind squirrel finds a nut, but I wouldn't put it past them. IANAL, so it may not even work that way and as always YMMV. County is a ****hole anyhow, glad we moved from Post Rd in the 80's.
Could Be?? Off Topic = are you really proud to be an asshole , that's funny and that's the way i been takin it "funny"

20-serve-15 means the MAXIMUM possible time of incarceration is 15 years, followed by 5 more on probation.
Probation = freedom with supervision. Monthly visits with probation officer, occasional drug screens, etc.

But, out of those 15 years of prison, the general rule is that a person is eligible for parole after serving 1/3 of his or her sentence. So for 15 years of incarceration time given, it could be as little as 5 or 6 to actually serve.
Plus 2-for-1 credit for any time served at the local jail, from the date of arrest until that person either bonded out or was convicted and sentenced.

Back
Top Bottom