• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2000 Chevy Silverado input

sambo77

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
141   0
Reaction score
I've been looking at buying a used truck for a little while. I came across a deal on a 2000 v6 automatic 1500 for a pretty good price. I met the guy today and checked over it and it seemed like a solid truck (only 113,000 miles). My only thing is I'm unfamiliar with Chevrolets but after my last two Fords I'm hesitant to buy a ford. Anything to look out for on that particular year model?

I've been looking at buying a used truck for a little while. I came across a deal on a 2000 v6 automatic 1500 for a pretty good price. I met the guy today and checked over it and it seemed like a solid truck (only 113,000 miles). My only thing is I'm unfamiliar with Chevrolets but after my last two Fords I'm hesitant to buy a ford. Anything to look out for on that particular year model?
Usually need trans rebuild at 150,000 or so .

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

If it has the 4l60e transmission. They have insufficient cooling. Replace the pan with an oversized pan. They make a pan 2 quart oversized and add an additional transmission cooler.

The additional capacity reduces temperature and the additional transmission cooler supplements the under sized in radiator transmission cooler.

automatic transmissions are designed to operate at a maximum temperature of 200 degrees. For every 20 degrees you go above this limit, you cut the expected lifespan of the transmission by half.

I have owned a suburban with this same transmission and replaced the transmission 4 times in the last 15 years before figuring this out.

If it's a soon to be 18 yr old 2 wd single cab with a six cylinder engine the price should be almost free
Or certainly not over $850

If its a cab and a half 4wd it would be worth considerably more but the small engine is going to hurt the value a lot

If it's a soon to be 18 yr old 2 wd single cab with a six cylinder engine the price should be almost free

If its a cab and a half 4wd it would be worth considerably more but the small engine is going to hurt the value a lot

LOL! Haven't been in the truck market lately, I see.

kbb and nada are showing around $4k. He has it priced a little lower which I think is a fair price.

If it has the 4l60e transmission. They have insufficient cooling. Replace the pan with an oversized pan. They make a pan 2 quart oversized and add an additional transmission cooler.

The additional capacity reduces temperature and the additional transmission cooler supplements the under sized in radiator transmission cooler.

automatic transmissions are designed to operate at a maximum temperature of 200 degrees. For every 20 degrees you go above this limit, you cut the expected lifespan of the transmission by half.

I have owned a suburban with this same transmission and replaced the transmission 4 times in the last 15 years before figuring this out.
I appreciate the insight, if I end up buying it I'll end up putting one on.

I owned a 1500 with the 4.3. I was impressed with the engine for about 3 months.....I was pulling a very small lawn trailer and mower at the time. It just wasn't enough engine in my opinion for a full size that did anything but commuting. If you plan on using the truck for truck purposes, get one with the 5.3l. the 6 cylinder in fine for a daily driver though. When I bought the 4.3. it was all I could afford. Just my two cents having owned both.

Back
Top Bottom