• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2000 Chevy Silverado input

would the oversized pan be better or an external cooler?
The oversized pan increases capacity. The increase in capacity reduces the amount of time the same fluid has to spend inside the transmission where it gets the heat, so tending to lower temps.

The in radiator transmission cooler is the only cooling you'll have. It is undersized. The life expectancy of your transmission will be cut in half for every 20 degrees above 200 in fluid temperature.

I owned my suburban with the same 4l60e transmission. I have replaced it 4 times in 15 years. Each time I spent just over 1K. If I knew that and spent the time and money to so these 2 upgrades, I would probably still be driving with the original transmission.

Go ahead and get a AAA membership. You're gonna need that emergency roadside towing.
what makes you say that? My 05 f150 left me stranded more than it should have. All I've seen on here is transmission might give problems down the road if the pan isn't upgraded.

I have a 2000 Silverado with 230,000 miles, bought it with little over 100,000. I have replaced both wheel bearings hubs up front and just recently the fuel pump that fixed my fuel gage also. Pull the bed if you have to replace the fuel pump. Besides the tree that hit the side and windshield the truck has been basically maintenance free (- trans and engine oil changes, air filters). Very strong motor with a little knock at startup, no smoke.

KIMG0679.jpg KIMG0677(2).jpeg

I'm guessing you had the 3V 5.4? I'll concede that engine was pos.
sure did. I bought it used with 150k on it, a month later the transmission went out without any signs that it was going out just went out and had to coast into a parking lot. Then after the transmission was replaced motor and electrical problems began. Ended shelling out around 5k to fix everything and then sold it. My 98 explorer went through 3 motors, 3 rear ends and 2 transmissions in less than 250k, when I traded it in the second transmission and the third rear end were going out, it was so bad off in surprised it made it from loganville to Athens. Not saying I wouldn't own another ford but I'm very hesitant to own another especially if it was made after 2003.

I have a 2000 Silverado with 230,000 miles, bought it with little over 100,000. I have replaced both wheel bearings hubs up front and just recently the fuel pump that fixed my fuel gage also. Pull the bed if you have to replace the fuel pump.
If you need to remove and replace the fuel pump. You can do it yourself if you Rent an engine hoist. Remove the all the front bed bolts and just loosen the last two aft ones. One on each side. Disconnect the stuff at the fuel cap and lift the front of the bed with the hoist.

Plenty of access and you don't have to fool with any of the wiring. A jack stand between the frame and the bed for safety.

sure did. I bought it used with 150k on it, a month later the transmission went out without any signs that it was going out just went out and had to coast into a parking lot. Then after the transmission was replaced motor and electrical problems began. Ended shelling out around 5k to fix everything and then sold it. My 98 explorer went through 3 motors, 3 rear ends and 2 transmissions in less than 250k, when I traded it in the second transmission and the third rear end were going out, it was so bad off in surprised it made it from loganville to Athens. Not saying I wouldn't own another ford but I'm very hesitant to own another especially if it was made after 2003.

I wouldn't bother with any Ford truck 09-10. The 3V 4.6's were junk, the 3V 5.4's were junk, the 6.4 powerstrokes were junk (6.4 dates back to 08), the 6 spd autos in the 1/2 tons had tons of bugs. Any half ton 04-08 with the 2V 4.6 was solid. Any 6.0 from 03-07 can be bulletproofed relatively easily. Anything 03 or older was solid. Everything 2011+ is crème de la crème.

Back
Top Bottom