• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2004 Harley V-Rod project.

grandall1972

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
249   0
Reaction score
Just picked up this 2004 Harley V-Rod up as a project. As if I needed another one. Have a few questions. Only had 6800 miles, but that creates issues all on its own.

- It needs throttle cables lubed or replaced. Right now throttle works, but doesn’t return.
- Rear brakes either need fluid or the rear caliper is locked. Easy enough to find out.
- Small leak from one of the coolant hoses.
- Tires are dry rotted badly.
- Been down once from a failed takeoff, and has a couple small scrapes.

1. What else should I be looking for?
2. Where is the best place to get tires and have them mounted. Reasonably priced

More pictures soon.
261CF7DC-506C-4435-8D63-02CF0FF62A87.jpeg

Just picked up this 2004 Harley V-Rod up as a project. As if I needed another one. Have a few questions. Only had 6800 miles, but that creates issues all on its own.

- It needs throttle cables lubed or replaced. Right now throttle works, but doesn’t return.
- Rear brakes either need fluid or the rear caliper is locked. Easy enough to find out.
- Small leak from one of the coolant hoses.
- Tires are dry rotted badly.
- Been down once from a failed takeoff, and has a couple small scrapes.

1. What else should I be looking for?
2. Where is the best place to get tires and have them mounted. Reasonably priced

More pictures soon.
View attachment 1453718
notorious rear master cylinder, bleed it out and flush it out..the only people i trust with tires is dealer( mountain creek HD closest to you) or Kens tire in Woodstock, flush cooling system with Harley recommended anti freeze..look for cable out of slot or broken return spring..sounds like it needs entire fluid change after sitting for so long....but buy the tires on line and carry them in..its cheaper than dealer mark up

+1 for Kens Tire in Woodstock. He does great work and at reasonable cost. Definitely flush and replace all fluids with HD approved ones. Throttle cable is a PIA on these things, I service mine before the start of every season. Be sure to check out the oil breather hose as well. They like to throw oil into the air box. Looks like a fun project.

notorious rear master cylinder, bleed it out and flush it out..the only people i trust with tires is dealer( mountain creek HD closest to you) or Kens tire in Woodstock, flush cooling system with Harley recommended anti freeze..look for cable out of slot or broken return spring..sounds like it needs entire fluid change after sitting for so long....but buy the tires on line and carry them in..its cheaper than dealer mark up

Thanks. I’ll probsbly be doing all these tasks. Just need to order the tires. I do know it’s had the fluids in the last year, but still should be done again.

I put Metzeler ME888 or 880's on my Harley. good tires and handled better than the OE dunlops.

motors are pretty solid on the V-rods.

Torqers bike shop just over murray/whitfield county line at hwy 52 alt. Chris Pugh just opened up shop, they do repairs and sell and install tires, good prices and good guy to deal with.

I put Metzeler ME888 or 880's on my Harley. good tires and handled better than the OE dunlops.
^^^^^^^^^
Yep,
I swapped over to metzelers me-880s years ago on my dresser. Seems like they wear round on the bottoms instead of flat like the oem tires.

Im not a big fan of the Metzlers 880 or the 888...after wreaking one not being able to get good traction during hard breaking the harder compound acts like a crayon until it is good and hot with brakes locking up the rear tire...yes they last longer but on bigger performance bikes the Avon cobra does the best of both worlds in traction and lasting a little bit longer.. just an honest opinion based on experience

I’ve always been a fan of the Michelin pilot road 2’s on my sport touring bikes, but haven’t tried them on a cruiser yet. They do come in the proper size for s v-rod though.

Back
Top Bottom