• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2005 Dodge Ram inside cab recirculation door fail fix

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
My Dodge has the famous recirculation door failure blocking the fan and preventing air flow inside the cab even with fan on high it barely blows air out the vents. To replace a new part means dropping the entire dash so screw that. Work around fix:

On the passenger side up under the dash the fan motor is mounted with 3 screws and easy to get to. Unplug the electrical connector to the fan. Use either a flathead or a torx to remove the 3 screws and lower the fan. Reach up inside the hole and fish out the broke off recirculation door. It will come out without removing anything else. Now replace the fan and hook it back up. Now pop the hood. On the passenger side remove the 1 cowl screw located next to the hinge and up by the windshield. Remove the 3 plastic push in hold downs for the cowl. Pry up the plastic cowl and you'll see a hole there that is the inlet to the recirculation door (about 4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide). Cover the hole with duct tape or flex tape. Now put it all back together and you are done. Truck is now in constant recirculation mode and will blow your hair back.

Good luck and it works great!

I am to OCD to do that , but In a pinch sure ….

I like my stuff working like it should and right

but this is a cheap way for those that can’t afford fixing the right way

not sure your year but those older ones , dash cracks so easy so we warn customers all the time that it might shatter like glass as they are so brittle being 15 years old or 20

I don't even qualify as a shade tree mechanic, but I think I'm going to have to try this. We have an 03 Ram with the recirculation issue. It's a third vehicle for us, so it's not worth the money to have them drop the dash out and fix it the right way. Thanks for the tip, testdepth testdepth !

It's simple to do and took about 30 minutes. There are several videos and most want you to remove the glove box but it's not necessary and that door drops right out once you rotate it vertical in the hole. BTW by covering the inlet to the fan under the hood you should also prevent sucking in exhaust fumes while sitting in traffic.

I am to OCD to do that , but In a pinch sure ….

I like my stuff working like it should and right but this is a cheap way for those that can’t afford fixing the right way not sure your year but those older ones , dash cracks so easy so we warn customers all the time that it might shatter like glass as they are so brittle being 15 years old or 20

My truck is a 2005 and I have the money to fix it as you called "the right way" but I refuse to pay it in order to replace a $20 dollar plastic part that will break again. I refuse to go through hours to remove the entire dash out of the truck to replace it or pay a dealer $1000 to do it. It's hot and I don't need outside air blowing in my cab but I need cool air and this fix is the trick.

I’ve got a set of Blend Door USA doors sitting here now because my truck was totaled before putting them in. It’s the only way to do it correct. As far as the work, it really isn’t that bad, about an 1.5 hours to remove, 2-3 hours to replace and seal up everything and 1.5 to put back in. Can be done in a day.

That will work in a pinch though.

Problem with old trucks is have a high chance to crack or bust the dash up when removing it
And dealer wise all them been discontinued and can’t get
So you have that problem

My 2005 Dodge dash is not cracked and I don't expect it to. My wife's 2012 Yukon Denali's is cracked, go figure. 2007 to 2014 all cracked and GM refuses to fix it. You can have them replace it but they say there's no guarantee the new one won't crack.

My 2005 Dodge dash is not cracked and I don't expect it to. My wife's 2012 Yukon Denali's is cracked, go figure. 2007 to 2014 all cracked and GM refuses to fix it. You can have them replace it but they say there's no guarantee the new one won't crack.

Dodge has been the worst I have seen
From 93 and up all them cracked back
98-02 was really bad and 03-08
Sad for sure

gm has always had bad dash also
From Pontiac firebirds and camaros to Yukon’s and trucks

they know all about it too and refuse to make it a recall or warranty extended
Sad sad

I will say your 05 might not appear damaged and might not cracked but I will say from my years of experience with dodge as a mechanic

that 3 out of 5 cracked and didn’t show any signs it would

so chances are really high

Dodge has been the worst I have seen
From 93 and up all them cracked back
98-02 was really bad and 03-08
Sad for sure

gm has always had bad dash also
From Pontiac firebirds and camaros to Yukon’s and trucks

they know all about it too and refuse to make it a recall or warranty extended
Sad sad

I will say your 05 might not appear damaged and might not cracked but I will say from my years of experience with dodge as a mechanic

that 3 out of 5 cracked and didn’t show any signs it would

so chances are really high

Don't be wishing a damn cracked dash on me. My 05 has not a hint of a crack.

Back
Top Bottom