• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2008 ford escape (V-6) problems.

joewilly

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
261   0
Reaction score
Yesterday wife called and said a/c started blowing hot air, check engine light came on, and about a minute later fuel pump reset light came on. She pulled over and called me (engine never stopped running, and never overheated). I told her to nurse it home (about 11 miles). When she started driving home the fuel pump reset light went out, but the check engine light stayed on. Made it home, but she said the car would not run over 40mph. This vehicle had a complete tune up a few days ago, and this is the first time she has driven it, other than back to the house from the mechanic's shop. Before I take it back I would appreciate any information you folks may have. I noticed when the engine was running it sounded like a noise was coming from the air filter. As soon as it gets light I will take a look at the filter. She drove from Walnut Grove to Conyers, and was headed back when this happened, so I would guess she had put on about 25 miles with no problems before this happened. thanks jw

Check the entire air inlet assembly for obstructions(road debris, small animal nest, etc.). Check the MAF sensor(usually in this assembly), for any debris across the resistor wires, as this can shut an engine down. Clean the MAF with CRC brand Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. You need to read the codes with a diagnostic code scanner. On some vehicles. when the ignition switch is turned to the 'on' position, a light in the gauge cluster will flash a series of fast/slow flashes, which can be counted, and look up the trouble code, in the owners manual, or look it up on youtube.

lol. The one that stumped me is the fuel pump reset light. I know where the reset switch is, but should not need resetting if it is still running. (or maybe that was why it would not run over 40 mph). I would think the car would not run if the fuel pump needed reset. Yea, I will have him check it out, but was curious if it happened to anyone else. tks

I checked the air filter. It is fine, so knowing how noise travels in an engine, the noise could be coming from somewhere else and just sounds like from the air filter area. When I took the cover off to check the filter there was a note in there from my first wife - something about payback is a b.....

Check the entire air inlet assembly for obstructions(road debris, small animal nest, etc.). Check the MAF sensor(usually in this assembly), for any debris across the resistor wires, as this can shut an engine down. Clean the MAF with CRC brand Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. You need to read the codes with a diagnostic code scanner. On some vehicles. when the ignition switch is turned to the 'on' position, a light in the gauge cluster will flash a series of fast/slow flashes, which can be counted, and look up the trouble code, in the owners manual, or look it up on youtube.
thanks, going to take it over this morning and check it with the code scanner.

Back
Top Bottom