• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

200yrd Rimfire Rifle Match, RBGC, Dawsonville, GA

Greg_D

Default rank <1500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
72   0
Reaction score
Yes, 200 yards with a rimfire! Most would be surprised how accurate the diminutive .22 rimfire can be even at 200 yards. A good rifle with quality ammo will perform very well at this range if the shooter can keep up with changing conditions. Those who prefer a bit more zip in their cartridge and better performance in the wind may choose the newer .17 caliber rimfire. Regardless of whether you shoot a light commercial rifle or a heavy match gun, you’ll find the 200 Yard Rimfire match both fun and challenging.
http://www.rbgc.org/200YardRimfire/200YardRF.html

I did this twice, but not in the last several years. Both times I went, you did not have to actually be able to zero your rifle at 200 yards. They put up two targets, one on top of the other, separated by about 2 feet. You aim at the top bullseye, but you score the hits that drop into the lower one.

I'm in one of the photos featured on the RBGC page linked above.
I'm the one wearing a black leather jacket and a light blue baseball cap. My rifle is a much-modified Ruger 10/22 with a Fajhen (spelling?) Legacy stock,a 22 inch Green Mountain barrel, and aperture sights front and rear.

I did this twice, but not in the last several years. Both times I went, you did not have to actually be able to zero your rifle at 200 yards. They put up two targets, one on top of the other, separated by about 2 feet. You aim at the top bullseye, but you score the hits that drop into the lower one.

I'm in one of the photos featured on the RBGC page linked above.
I'm the one wearing a black leather jacket and a light blue baseball cap. My rifle is a much-modified Ruger 10/22 with a Fajhen (spelling?) Legacy stock,a 22 inch Green Mountain barrel, and aperture sights front and rear.
Interesting. What distance were you sighted in at to start?

Interesting. What distance were you sighted in at to start?

I believe I came to the 200 yard match with a 100 yard zero, which I had used several times at the reduced 100 yard rifle clinic and match run by Ben Franklin at Riverbend.

I may have had to fine-tune my zero a little bit but I did not try to actually zero at 200 and aim for the bottom target.
I aimed for the top target and it only took a couple of clicks of windage and a couple of clicks of elevation (not sure if it was up or down) to get centered in the black of the bottom target.

The Winchester Ballistics Calculator with input parameters 22lr Rifle, subsonic ammo
-- zero at 25yrds(indoor range), at 200yrds will be 54.3in low (come up 27moa)
The Target used at 200yrds is 36 diameter circle with at least another 12 inches of non scoring area.
Any 22lr rifle can hit a 4ft target.

Pfft. 200 Yards with a 22 is too easy. I'm going to be shooting this...
cssmith.co_wp_content_uploads_2017_12_daisy_red_ryder_diagram_gun_scope_mount.jpg

Back
Top Bottom