• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2011 Deer Season Kills ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a great Hunt with Boogerhook In Floyd county yesterday. I wasn't gonna shoot unless I saw a good one. I got down out of my ladder stand about 10 to do some scouting and go retrieve my climber I had left way up on the mountain last year and move it to a likely area I had found. So after a half mile hike up the mountain, a noisy half mile hike back down carrying a bunch of gear, I stopped sat at the base of a tree in the area I had found and began looking around for the perfect tree to hang my climber on. I returned a missed phone call and sent Boogerhook a text and asked him If he wanted to go and move his other stand and he texted that he was gonna sit tight for another hour where he was. I looked up and saw a white patch coming through the woods twords me. After another 30 yards I could see it was a 6pt buck with nice long tines outside the ears at about 75 yards. I didn't want to blow his shoulders off so I held off a little behind and drilled him with a handloaded 165gr Nosler Accubond he went 10 yards and fell over just out of sight. I watched for a couple of minutes and sent Boogerhook a text when I looked up and a small 4 point buck was walking along. My heart sank because I thought I had just screwed up and shot a much smaller deer than I thought. This deer wasn't behaving as if it was hit though. I checked him out in my scope and much to my relief he fed on acorns and wandered off. We took pics after the kill with my phone but apparently made short videos that I don't know how to convert to photos. We always have a great time but after 10 years we finally took a much better buck off our place in Floyd county.

With a camera in Clay county this last weekend. I'd loved to have seen the buck that broke off the antler on one guy.

Attachments

• Small_DSC00261.jpg
    Small_DSC00261.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 235
  • Small_DSC00267.jpg
    Small_DSC00267.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Small_DSC00268.jpg
    Small_DSC00268.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Small_DSC00286.jpg
    Small_DSC00286.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 221
That's a nice one. Thanks for what you're doing. I'm glad he dropped. The last one I shot in the neck missed the spine a little low and blew it's throat off. A 165gr ballistic tipped tracheotomy. He went down instantly in enough blood to make a slasher movie and then got up running. Had to track that sucker about half a mile onto someone elses property to recover it. I don't shoot em in the neck anymore.

here are mine on opening day... shot simultaneously with an M79 40mm at 120 yards

[Broken External Image]:

just kidding... this is the work of three experienced hunters on my first trip out. I got my first deer the next morning. lol

when we got to the cooler and dropped the tailgate, the guy there said "damn... yall run out of bullets?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom