• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2015-2018 Silverado/Sierra Lemons

triplexbullies

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
26   0
Reaction score
GM has their last chance to fix this coming up in the next week or so. Then it will be either repurchased or replaced. It won't be the first lemon for these trucks for this exact issue.

T triplexbullies
I don't believe my 2017 Silverado has squeaky leaf springs, though I haven't looked into it on other forums... but my old 2012 Tacoma 4 cyl. 5-lug had very squeaky leafs. Every time I would drive over speed bumps it made a terrible noise. There are forum posts upon forum posts about the issue, and Toyota wouldn't do anything to fix it.
It looks like you have a lift on yours, did you change the rear lift block? That might be a source of the squeak, if the U-Bolts came loose. Also is it only while towing, or all the time?

I didn't touch the rear. These squeak with the flex under normal acceleration to the point I can hear it in the cab over normal radio and vent volumes. It's a known issue for these trucks. There are several technical service bulletins for re-torquing some bolts and then adding grease to the springs, which is clearly not a permanent fix. GM also says they won't do anything else about it.... Until you involve the BBB and give them a final repair notice. They have to FIX it... which they can't do. GM has admitted that it's a problem with the springs. If you just take their word for it, that there's nothing else they can do, then you live with it. But with a truck under warranty, that's not an acceptable remedy... unless you let it be.

With the Tacoma's I've heard of people placing rubber (bike tires) between the springs to act as a dampener. Though it was not something I would have even attempted to do. Sounds like the only thing they can do is continually replace the springs with that final repair notice. If they do replace the springs, maybe you'll get lucky and it wont squeak.
I completely agree with having the truck being under warranty, they should do anything and everything to come up with a solution. Be it going to a better suspension system or higher quality parts.

I'm just assuming ---
GM had an analyst look at some portion of the 2015 models that were brought back in with the issue and where those issues went. They decided it was cheaper to issue TSBs that either didn't work or provided temporary relief and then say, GM is working on it, there's nothing else we can do, and then deal with people like me individually, then to replace the springs with a part that didn't squeak. At least 2017 and 2018 brochures specifically state that the rear springs are tuned for noise reduction. REALLY?? Well... GM is going to have to pay to shut me up about this issue. I didn't pay the money that I did for a truck that squeaks like a 95 F150. They've also lost a loyal GM owner.

I know that GM has already had to replace or repurchase 2015-2017 for this issue. And there has been no development to the fix.... The most recent TSB says to use a special lubricant for the springs that has to be acquired from Honda. They did that to my truck last month. Still squeaking... regardless of it was right now, that fix is explicitly and clearly otherwise not permanent.

Interesting that they had an analyst weigh in on the topic and haven't come up with a solution going forward or a quick fix for us current owners. Maybe the new 2019's will have an upgraded system/parts that wont squeak... but then again that's if you like the new look and can afford it...
Good luck and keep us posted if they answer your requests!

Interesting that they had an analyst weigh in on the topic and haven't come up with a solution going forward or a quick fix for us current owners. Maybe the new 2019's will have an upgraded system/parts that wont squeak... but then again that's if you like the new look and can afford it...
Good luck and keep us posted if they answer your requests!

Maybe they could put springs from a 99 to 06 on them. I have a 1999 1500 with 324,000 miles and an 2006 2500HD with 260,000. Never noticed any kind of noises.

Back
Top Bottom