• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2018 SHOT Show thread

Here's my ignorant question for the day... What makes a MP5 so special/hard to duplicate? I love the mp5 (what little I know about it) and always have especially in video games.
But seriously why is this so special over say a CZ scorpion or MPX?

Here's my ignorant question for the day... What makes a MP5 so special/hard to duplicate? I love the mp5 (what little I know about it) and always have especially in video games.
Roller lock timing/operation

The abundance of parts and manufacturers, the streamlining of manufacturing parts and the sheer volume of rifles made and owned is whats driving down parts. A lot of manufacturers have been making a lot of ARs for a long time. Not so with the MP5 and its still a very skill oriented and manual process. I think you would need a lot more manufacturers involved to start driving the price down. Not saying it can't happen but its not fair to compare ARs to MP5s.

Agreed! We just saw +2 MFGs come out with their own HKs. Not rebadged foreign stuff but USA made clones. Surely they didn't make this annoucement without some serious brain storming / planning. Give them a few years to truly streamline everything. Maybe HK clones are the new ARs. I mean, the .308s are pretty popular (Hk91, G3, C308/Cetme, PTR, etc) and so are the goofy .22 copies of the MP5. Everything starts with getting your foot wet. Food for thought.

The only thing I can say that makes it "so special" is that it has a proven track record in military and police applications that goes back for near 50 years. It works, and works well.

What about shooting 2 inch groups at 50 yards in a High Stress situation? I don't know if I could.

The FA guy said 4-5 MOA at 50 yards. When the interviewer clarified later on in the video he said 'groups of 4"-5" at 50 yards' and the FA guy didn't correct him. And honestly saying 4-5 MOA at 50 yards is just a weird way to say it if indeed he meant 2"-2.5" groups at 50 yards aka 4-5 MOA. I think many could shoot 4-5 inch groups at 50 yards in a stress situation.

Regardless, whether someone can maximize the effectiveness of the gun is not really the question.

just more labor intesive to build is the main thing and requiring a good welder which is a hard skill to master. now as to why is it so special over the scorpion or mpx. . . it isnt lol. they just have a cool factor going for them, thats about it

Back
Top Bottom