• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2018 Volkswagen Atlas

Interesting to read. VW has, or had, a great reputation for reliability and resale value in the UK. I looked a Touaregs a couple of times, their depreciation, at the time, was much lower than other small domestic suvs, poor economy though.

Had/Have great luck with Honda. 2 vehicles at 200K each. Tried a new 2016 Subaru, but had two motor jobs done under warranty by 28K. Sold it, once it came out of the shop the second time. Looking at a Honda/Acura again.

Looked at VW. Loved the ride, looks, price, etc., but too many negs if I were to keep long term. Co-workers have Audis. They all claim once the monthly payment is done, expect to pay the same amount per month in maintenance.

from what I understand the airbags won’t deploy if you’re not wearing a seat belt..... (I’m not sure how true it is) @RallySport may know.

Thank goodness she was buckled in. The seat belt gave her a nice red stripe across her chest and neck which later bruised. It could have been much worse.

I've been researching the Atlas to help my sister out and from what I have read is it's a great value vehicle. It does good at everything, looks good inside and out but truly does not excel at anything. Every review contained the same "interior is bland" type comment. Everyone agrees the mileage is lackluster at best. For what it's worth if my wife wanted to upgrade to a larger SUV than her Jeep Cherokee I would put her in an Explorer and call it a day. In the last 3-4 years I've had 6-8 friends purchase their wives Explorers and all are very happy.

LOL

I know the head guy at one of the largest Porsche dealers in North America....he said and I quote “I wouldn’t buy one, hell i wouldn’t even ride in one if I were you.”

I'd be embarrassed if I were Porsche

Their SUVs depreciate faster Than any other vehicle

$120k new
8 years later it's worth $8k

I'd suggest to look at the Kia

My brother in law is a traveling salesman , he racks up about 80-100k a year

He puts about 250-300k on a Kia SUV before he trades it in on a new one and has had zero problems

Id avoid any vehicle model for the first three or four years
No use to pay to do the testing that they were too cheap and lazy to do themselves

I'd also look at a Toyota 4 runner
They hold their value very well
Cost a little more than a Vw bit six of seven years from now the Yota will be worth 3x

Without knowing the outcome of this decision and with much regret that you're about to get opinions from people who don't realize this is an old thread. The Atlas is taking the market by storm, I am seeing these things all over the country and typically notice 3-4 or more per day. I am willing to bet the Atlas is going to turn out to be a strong performer for VW.

Gonna help you revive and old thread

My niece just bought one and they love it
They have a baby and sometimes use it to pull a small boat
Since her husband gets a take home car from work and he can use it for any personal stuff but not towing

I saw her car yesterday and it’s pretty roomy and nice

No clue about the reliability and depreciation though, that will take a few years to determine
If they’ve had several Honda SUVs and lots of other cars
They Churn thru new cars like nothing I’ve ever seen but she claims she likes this one the best

Back
Top Bottom