• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2022-23 Way too early “Deer”Rifle thread

Which brand is the upper? How’s it performed so far?
It’s a bear creek side charging upper. So far so good. I haven’t run it real hard or a lot of rounds but so far with 20 round Duramags it’s run flawlessly. Accuracy has been pretty decent. I won’t say really good, but pretty decent

Well, tell us about it then. :boink::boink:

Ain't much to tell. It's a Browning 78. I always liked the Hi Wall and could never talk myself into spending the money for an original. I found a Winchester made in the early 1900s last year at Tulsa but, since I'm cheep, I just couldn't justify the money. Saw thisun last week on here and decided to bite the bullet.

That rifle looks great! If it were me, I’d flute the bolt and cerakote the flutes black.
LRI is looking like the spot for fluting. Baldwin the place jeweling. This was a Bubba project from the go. This part will be the only out sourced phase of the project. So far I have $100.00 in this project for the synthetic stock. The rifle was a trade. Everything else used was on hand in the Bubba box.

Tikka T3x Lite Roughtech in 6.5CM.

20220526_185214.jpg

Range ready. I am going to hunt her with a “satin polished” bolt this season. If it makes it past my post season rifle ADD I will get it fluted or re jeweled. I touched up some of the bluing with oxpho blue from muzzle to bolt shroud. Not 100% set on the Weaver K4 Scope. My wife knows I have a scope fetish and bought me two Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 BallistiPlex Scopes for Fathers Day 😂
75F3B082-3212-4A15-A293-DB25EA601F3F.jpeg
07DA27B8-11D5-496F-BB48-01D33B9521E0.jpeg
C704DDF5-C13C-4881-B418-39ED5C7E0C4F.jpeg
3C42FD1D-E1F2-4600-838F-B11B0CDFD0C2.jpeg

My problem is I'm a bow hunter at heart. I love the notion of carrying a particular rifle in the woods and every year I pick up a few more with the romantic notion of hunting with it. But when I head to the woods, I grab the bow. When I do carry a rifle I end up passing up deer with it. I guess the thrill of killing them is more in my head then actually doing it. I have a really nice 1972 Marlin 336 sitting next to the computer right now that I scoped out with a nice vintage Leupy 2-7, loaded up about 50 rounds of 200 Gr Speer, sighted it in and walked around the pasture one evening last year. I even wore my green and black buffalo plaid jacket. Put the scope on a big doe and then walked back to the house.
So far this year I've set up a Winchester 100 Carbine with a period correct 3x Leupy, 2 HR Single shot rifles 1-30-06, 1- 44mag, and the Remington 673 300 SAUM that I killed the moose with. Season would have to be 800 days long for me to carry all the rifles I want to hunt with. lol

Attachments

• DSCN0450.JPG
    DSCN0450.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 19
  • moose 2021.jpg
    moose 2021.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 19
My problem is I'm a bow hunter at heart. I love the notion of carrying a particular rifle in the woods and every year I pick up a few more with the romantic notion of hunting with it. But when I head to the woods, I grab the bow. When I do carry a rifle I end up passing up deer with it. I guess the thrill of killing them is more in my head then actually doing it. I have a really nice 1972 Marlin 336 sitting next to the computer right now that I scoped out with a nice vintage Leupy 2-7, loaded up about 50 rounds of 200 Gr Speer, sighted it in and walked around the pasture one evening last year. I even wore my green and black buffalo plaid jacket. Put the scope on a big doe and then walked back to the house.
So far this year I've set up a Winchester 100 Carbine with a period correct 3x Leupy, 2 HR Single shot rifles 1-30-06, 1- 44mag, and the Remington 673 300 SAUM that I killed the moose with. Season would have to be 800 days long for me to carry all the rifles I want to hunt with. lol
More power to ya. I wait till muzzle loader season

Back
Top Bottom