• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2022-23 Way too early “Deer”Rifle thread

Got this one in December, might even get around to putting a scope on it sometime!
61555A46-E26D-48D9-8A51-B4BCA38C4E61.jpeg

Glock 40 in the hard hitting 10mm with a vortex optic. It’ll be riding in a Kenai chest holster.
I’m still working on load selection.
View attachment 4084639
Sako 85S .308 with a Vortex 3-12x56, the same rifle I have used for the past few seasons. Barnes TTSX 150’s performed really well for the kids and I this season.
View attachment 4084602
Forgot to post up my new “Hand Rifle” CVA Scout V2 pistol in 6.5 Grendel.

Forgot to post up my new “Hand Rifle” CVA Scout V2 pistol in 6.5 Grendel.
Those are solid setups. I’d like to see it.
I’ve always wanted to kill a deer with a handgun, but never seem to commit myself to it.
To this day, I’ve only dispatched one deer with a handgun, after bringing it down with a rifle.
91594590-09BB-48E3-8784-F2820B4EAEE2.jpeg

I passed a shot on a mature doe a couple seasons ago because she was just a little bit outside of my comfort zone.

I’ve had the idea of killing a deer with one of each type of weapon for years. I’ve killed deer with a compound, recurve, crossbow, rifle, muzzleloader and shotgun.
The handgun kill eludes me still, but I’m hoping to be able to change that this season.

I’m considering getting a 9” Lone Wolf barrel for my G-40 so I can squeeze a little bit more out of that round.

Those are solid setups. I’d like to see it.
I’ve always wanted to kill a deer with a handgun, but never seem to commit myself to it.
To this day, I’ve only dispatched one deer with a handgun, after bringing it down with a rifle.
View attachment 4088757

I passed a shot on a mature doe a couple seasons ago because she was just a little bit outside of my comfort zone.

I’ve had the idea of killing a deer with one of each type of weapon for years. I’ve killed deer with a compound, recurve, crossbow, rifle, muzzleloader and shotgun.
The handgun kill eludes me still, but I’m hoping to be able to change that this season.

I’m considering getting a 9” Lone Wolf barrel for my G-40 so I can squeeze a little bit more out of that round.
I killed a deer with a Glock 23C by luck trying to catch a deer dog. Deer got confused in the ruckus and walked to within 20ft. One 180gr gold dot to the head. She never saw or heard anything.

Never deer hunted but going this season. What’s a good .308 bolt gun/optic setup for north GA woods? Say under $1,250 total if that’s reasonable.

I know absolutely nothing about scopes or bolt guns.

Never deer hunted but going this season. What’s a good .308 bolt gun/optic setup for north GA woods? Say under $1,250 total if that’s reasonable.

I know absolutely nothing about scopes or bolt guns.

I will suggest a Ruger American or Savage Axis with a entry level Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9X40 scope. Well under $ 750 if you buy new and cheaper if you buy used. Spend the other $ 500 on good hunting ammo and practice.

I will suggest a Ruger American or Savage Axis with a entry level Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9X40 scope. Well under $ 750 if you buy new and cheaper if you buy used. Spend the other $ 500 on good hunting ammo and practice.
You’re the second guy I’ve talked to that mentioned the Axis. Definitely leaning that way. TY

Back
Top Bottom