• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2023 Trapping thread

I saw my first Northwest Georgia Armadillo last spring and shot it
now I see sign of others, digging holes in my yard

any tips on trapping an Armadillo ?
I doubt a Georgia Armored Rat will know you're making Alabama sets.

all I use is miniature marshmallows in dog proofs and sardines in cage
I just put enough in Dog proofs to cover trigger and 6-8 sprinkled around do you have to much trying to lure them into trap

I am not catching like I should be. Been using cat food, sardines, and marshmallows. Any suggestions for something better? Frustrating to watch coons on my cameras, as they walk around the traps.
How is your set up? Do you have the trap set somewhere you've caught them before? I've heard a guy from North American trappers saying to set your coon traps away from a constant feed source on the trail to it. For bait I use cat food and a little Debbie oatmeal cream pie and get good results. I like to put the cream on the rim of the dog proof and that brings em right in, or at least I think it does from what I have seen.

IMG_20230220_094044755_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230220_111945717_HDR.jpg

3 and 3, I like pulling up to the first trap and having a catch

Trapping Armadillos
I have never seen one in North Georgia till last year and I shot it.
Drinking my 5am coffee my motion light came on, well digging in the yard is an Armadillo, I snuck out he saw me and took off.
Now I can sneak real good, what I learned is they have good eyesight and can run as fast as a Rabbit, I missed but heard him run to the side of the house.
Waited till daylight and found he has a burrow under my Jon Boat.
So I made a funnel with 6x6's placed 2 leg traps and a cage trap.
The other trap is between the 6x6 and the 2x, this is in case he can climb over the 6x6 this one should get him
My thought is as they are low to the ground his foot may not set the trap off and hopefully run into the cage.
Tomorrow morning I shall see.

IMG_20230223_082853.jpg
IMG_20230223_084534.jpg

Back
Top Bottom