• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

20ga gobblers

20 gauge #9 TSS. Absolutely devastating!! This was ON 4/2.
20230402_073501.jpg

So what are the requirements to shoot these tungsten loads in older guns or can they be shot in any thing with a proper sized chamber?
Depends on how old you're talking, if it's an shotgun made with Damascus barrels that's a no go. If you mean 30 or 40 years ago you should be good to go. The biggest thing to it is with the hand loads the pressures are slightly different than some factory ammo. For instance I have a 12ga load that's 3" but has the pressures of a 3" magnum. Most shotguns made in the last few decades should be able to shoot it just fine. I'll say this, I wouldn't recommend shooting it out of a fixed choke style shotgun. You also have to look out for the rating of the choke, some will say lead shot only. If it is good for hevi-shot or steel it should be good for tss.

Depends on how old you're talking, if it's an shotgun made with Damascus barrels that's a no go. If you mean 30 or 40 years ago you should be good to go. The biggest thing to it is with the hand loads the pressures are slightly different than some factory ammo. For instance I have a 12ga load that's 3" but has the pressures of a 3" magnum. Most shotguns made in the last few decades should be able to shoot it just fine. I'll say this, I wouldn't recommend shooting it out of a fixed choke style shotgun. You also have to look out for the rating of the choke, some will say lead shot only. If it is good for hevi-shot or steel it should be good for tss.
Thanks. Sorry, I should've been more clear. i knew they'd be a no-go in Damascus, but was wondering about 1940s/50s era production shotguns with full chokes. Why are fixed chokes a bad thing for them?

Thanks. Sorry, I should've been more clear. i knew they'd be a no-go in Damascus, but was wondering about 1940s/50s era production shotguns with full chokes. Why are fixed chokes a bad thing for them?
I would think you should be good.

The fixed chokes aren't so much a bad idea because of function but more of tss patterns different than lead. You'll have a shot column that's more dense than the same weight of lead. My .585 choke in my stoeger throws a wicked pattern with tss, with lead it barely puts 5 or 6 in a 10 inch circle at 30 yards.

So what are the requirements to shoot these tungsten loads in older guns or can they be shot in any thing with a proper sized chamber?
The TSS is extremely hard. If a pellet gets loose from a wad or is constrictly tightly it will mark the bore. You can shoot it in anything you'd shoot steel shot through as long as you don't care about any damage. My 20ga O/U has chromed bores and TSS rated chokes. You can see the marks. The choke is pretty banged up. Still shoots fine.

Back
Top Bottom