• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

20ga gobblers

I’ve been killing turkeys with a 20 since before Hevi shot came out. Me and my hunting partner have killed a pile of them with a 20ga. I can remember the last bird I shot with a 12ga was opening day of 2008. I’ve carried a 20 since then. I wish I had pictures, but I always forget to take them, and if I do they get lost in the cloud.

1st turkey(s) I ever killed with a 20 was May 5 2008, and it was a 1 shot double with 1-5/16 Federal Heavy Weight lead shot. Never ever ever thought about toting a 12 after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted turkey at a time when I only had a 20 gauge shotgun with a standard "full" choke (which patterned on the open side, barely better than most "MOD" chokes.
I bought a total of 10 rounds of good, expensive, 3" shells, shot 5 in pattern tests, and took it hunting.
Saw a turkey and called it in to what I estimated was 20 yards. It took a while: I probably first saw it at 60 yards distance.
Took the shot.
Bird started flopping around, wounded.
I stood up and shot again. Saw dust kick up all around it. It still flopped around in pain.
There was a barbed wire fence between me and it, and I could not rush over there to blast its head off from spitting distance, so I fired again from the same distance and finally it quit moving.

Before I left the field, I paced the distance from the bird to the fence, and then to the spot where I fired from.
It was really more like 35 yards. My distance estimation was way off, and not suitable for the gun and choke that I carried that day. If it were really 20 yds, things would have worked a lot better.

When I cleaned it, I found only 3 good pellet strikes near the center of its body, and a few minor wounds.
Apparently my pattern was as wide as a hula hoop.

I hunted turkey at a time when I only had a 20 gauge shotgun with a standard "full" choke (which patterned on the open side, barely better than most "MOD" chokes.
I bought a total of 10 rounds of good, expensive, 3" shells, shot 5 in pattern tests, and took it hunting.
Saw a turkey and called it in to what I estimated was 20 yards. It took a while: I probably first saw it at 60 yards distance.
Took the shot.
Bird started flopping around, wounded.
I stood up and shot again. Saw dust kick up all around it. It still flopped around in pain.
There was a barbed wire fence between me and it, and I could not rush over there to blast its head off from spitting distance, so I fired again from the same distance and finally it quit moving.

Before I left the field, I paced the distance from the bird to the fence, and then to the spot where I fired from.
It was really more like 35 yards. My distance estimation was way off, and not suitable for the gun and choke that I carried that day. If it were really 20 yds, things would have worked a lot better.

When I cleaned it, I found only 3 good pellet strikes near the center of its body, and a few minor wounds.
Apparently my pattern was as wide as a hula hoop.
35 yards is a chip shot now for a 20ga with tungsten. It's crazy what ammo change will do as far as making a difference.

Add another to the 20ga tally
20230402_084851.jpg

Great pics, nice stories. I do hunt birds with a 20, but not turkey. That said I haven't been turkey hunting in a long time

Back
Top Bottom