• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

210 gr JHP 44 mags not grouping well

wallacem

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
163   0
Reaction score
Loaded some 210 gr jhp, think they are Sierra, in 44 mag with a mid range load, around 1200 fps. They grouped about 6 in at 50 yards in my NEF rifle that usually groups one inch with most 240 gr loads. Any suggestions? Wallacem inGa

Not close to the loading room but I loaded them just like I load all others, but these 210 gr just are not shooting as good a group as the 240 gr and even the 300 gr do.

Well what ever the cause that gun does not like the load.
Now is it bullet weight or the lighter load that is throwing the group?
I would say a combination of both and boost the powder up. ( within published range still)

.429" vs .430" on the bullet? Just a wild guess. Perhaps the bore of your rifle plays best with the large end of the spectrum and the 210s are on the smaller side.

I’ve never had luck with 300grain xtp’s out of my SBH. I tried it all…aa9..h110, lil gun from top to bottom. I’m not even going to entertain using fast burners like 231 or others that people use because even if it worked well, it’s not real .44mag potential. They just don’t shoot good out of my revolver. The 240 xtp…good to go. 300 grain cast from a LBT mold ..awesome. Some bullets just won’t shoot in some guns and I don’t waste time fiddling with them…not anymore anyway.

Back
Top Bottom