• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.22, .25 or .32 caliber - pocket pistol question

mtgldr

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
145   0
Reaction score
Only small caliber pocket firearms, 1" - 2" barrels.

Is .25 more reliable or effective than .22? Is .32 more reliable or effective than .25?

Talking strictly up close, 3' or less. Which would best stop the threat if someone jumped in your car, had a knife in their hand and said drive....

Not looking for larger caliber options, I'm just wondering what people know about these 3 specific "small" calibers.

Not wanting to debate the use of a weapon in this scenario, more interested in reasons why one is superior to the other.

32, its bigger there for its better.

But on a serious note, I have shot a dog with a 25 and watched it bounce off. 22 isnt reliable enough for me to trust it. How many dead primers, or how many have you rotated and tried em again only to have them work on the second time ?

With loads like the Aguila Interceptor, Aguila SuperMax Hyper Velocity, and the new Winchester Varmint HE... perfectly fine for pocket pistol duty. Plus the cost of ammo can't be beat!

32, its bigger there for its better.

But on a serious note, I have shot a dog with a 25 and watched it bounce off. 22 isnt reliable enough for me to trust it. How many dead primers, or how many have you rotated and tried em again only to have them work on the second time ?

True true on the primers....

.25 does look a little anemic, I've not had a chance to shoot it. There was a guy shooting pins last week with an FEG chambered in .32, it seemed very flat shooting and significantly more powerful than a .22 CCI mag round. About 6 months ago I shot a guys Keltec P32 with Corbon JHP's, it was very easy to control for such a light pistol.

With loads like the Aguila Interceptor, Aguila SuperMax Hyper Velocity, and the new Winchester Varmint HE... perfectly fine for pocket pistol duty. Plus the cost of ammo can't be beat!

Agreed but the .32 is 69% larger and if it's a carry weapon it's not going to get 100 rounds put thru it weekly. I know .32 is more expensive, expensive like .45 expensive, but if you had to chose one based on effectiveness and not cost, which would it be?

I do have all three and I would say the .32 due to the larger size and newer rounds for personal protection are available.

Well i can't say about a 32, never owned one or shot one. I have owned 22's and 25's, and 22 gets my vote. But it's your safety, so do what is best for you! I have a friend that his daily carry is a KelTec 32, and he loves it. He competition shoots, hunts all over the continent, legally owns suppressors and full autos, and has been shooting since before I was born, not to mention has a vast knowlege of all things firearms related; so if he carries one, I'm sure it's not a useless caliber.

Back
Top Bottom