• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22 ar conversion kit Q

WinstonSmith

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Garthok Narfler
85   0
Reaction score
I have some questions for all you gurus out there.

Been considering getting a 22 conversion kit for my AR. I'd like to be able to carry it for discreet closer range small game hunting if I am carrying my rifle and I don't want to have to carry a dedicated 22 upper or separate firearm to keep weight down.

1. My AR is 1:7 twist. How will that effect shooting 22?

2. Will different 22 ammo be better or worse? Specifically subsonic ammo? I'm ok with single shot if the bolt won't cycle with powderless 22 if that would be a concern.

3. Can I use a 556 suppressor with it? I know to have a suppressor I can take apart and clean to counteract lead build up.

4. What are some things, problems or concerns I haven't considered?

This isn't an area I'm well versed and greatly appreciate any edumacation you guys can throw my way so I can avoid spending "mistake money". I don't plan on putting a ton of rounds through it. Just an occasional squirrel, rabbit, or annoying amadillo.

Ok, I'll take a stab at this. I'm no expert by any means, but from what I have researched already on this, this is what I have learned. See below in Red.

I have some questions for all you gurus out there.

Been considering getting a 22 conversion kit for my AR. I'd like to be able to carry it for discreet closer range small game hunting if I am carrying my rifle and I don't want to have to carry a dedicated 22 upper or separate firearm to keep weight down.

1. My AR is 1:7 twist. How will that effect shooting 22? Accuracy may suffer as it is over-spinning the bullet. 22LR twist is usually 1:16.

2. Will different 22 ammo be better or worse? Specifically subsonic ammo? I'm ok with single shot if the bolt won't cycle with powderless 22 if that would be a concern. Really can't answer on this.

3. Can I use a 556 suppressor with it? I know to have a suppressor I can take apart and clean to counteract lead build up. You can shoot 22LR through a 5.56 cal can, just run a few rounds of 5.56 through it after shooting 22lr. Don't let it go more than a few 100 before doing the blow-out. You will be hard to find a 5.56 can that comes apart. Most centerfire rifle cans are sealed as they do not need to be taken apart.

4. What are some things, problems or concerns I haven't considered? No info to share, sorry.

This isn't an area I'm well versed and greatly appreciate any edumacation you guys can throw my way so I can avoid spending "mistake money". I don't plan on putting a ton of rounds through it. Just an occasional squirrel, rabbit, or annoying amadillo.

Ok, I'll take a stab at this. I'm no expert by any means, but from what I have researched already on this, this is what I have learned. See below in Red.

Yeah. I figured accuracy wouldn't be ideal that's why I referenced close range small game hunting. Hard to find jack of all trades master of all solutions. I just want to limit the shortcomings as much as possible. Thanks for the feedback.

I have an older Ceiner kit, in a rifle that is 1 in 9 twist. With the CCI M223 rounds that are supposedly made for these conversions I can shoot 2.5 MOA groups from prone with a USGI sling and a red dot with a 4 MOA dot. Since the resulting group is smaller than the dot, I'll take it.

I have no experience with a 1 in 7 barrel, but I would bet it would be about the same. The CCI M223s are the best I've found, although Winchester white box does pretty good as well. Generally it works better with hotter loads.

I don't have a suppressor, but it it should suppress as well as any other semi auto.

Should you decide to get one, also get the "Better Mag" adapter, available on Amazon. It's a magazine well insert that allows you to use M&P 15-22 magazines, which will actuate the bolt hold open, making the manual of arms the same as an unmodified AR.

Be aware that these kits can fire out of battery.

Do yourself a favor and get a dedicated 22LR upper with none the issues. I went the way of the conversion years ago and found that all available at the time would have issues. I got a CZ V22 and have never looked back.

Do yourself a favor and get a dedicated 22LR upper with none the issues. I went the way of the conversion years ago and found that all available at the time would have issues. I got a CZ V22 and have never looked back.

I don't want to carry a dedicated upper along with everything else I plan to have with me.

I don't want to carry a dedicated upper along with everything else I plan to have with me.

I didn't either, but found the aggravation of keeping the conversion running was far less than carrying and extra upper and popping two pins. Thing is, something that didn't run was just too useless. Maybe the newer ones work better, hope you get what you're looking for.

22lr conversions will work as long as you keep them lubed. They will make you lower nasty (blowback design) and you will learn to take the FCG out for cleaning. Just run a couple of 223 down barrel after sbooting to remove excess lead. As far as using 223 can, don't. You need to take a 22lr can apart for cleaning and lead removal. I got rid of my 22lr BCG and just use my 10/22 to shoot suppressed.

1. My AR is 1:7 twist. How will that effect shooting 22? - It will not be very accurate. Too much twist and slightly different bore diameter. The bullet will also have to jump from the conversion tube into the rifling of the barrel. If just wanting to plink around, no big deal. But don't expect great things out of it.

2. Will different 22 ammo be better or worse? Specifically subsonic ammo? - Depends on the unit. Keep it clean and lubed. Won't run CCI Quiest, but should run standard velocity stuff fine.

3. Can I use a 556 suppressor with it? I know to have a suppressor I can take apart and clean to counteract lead build up. - Just get a 22 can. Lead weld would be a bitch in an expensive 556/30 cal can and not worth it, IMHO.

4. What are some things, problems or concerns I haven't considered? - Gumming up the rifle in general. Specifically, you will clog the gas tube pretty quickly in comparison to not shooting 22. Not a big deal as they are cheap to replace, but still of note. 22 is dirty stuff. Everything will get nasty, especially if suppressing it.

My suggestion? Build a dedicated 22 upper. With the conversion kits hanging around $200 or so new, you won't spend much more building a dedicated upper and you will appreciate having it down the road. AR parts are cheap now. I run a CMMG 4.5 inch kit on my SBR. Love it. Accurate as well.

I have a cmmg stainless, and I like it.

Little finicky about ammo, but I think all 22s are to some extent.

One thing to be very mindful of is that these kits slide right out-like a bolt carrier. If it hits the floor and has a round in it, it will fire. Some guy on this forum got shot in the leg that way a while back.

Back
Top Bottom