• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22 ar conversion kit Q

I have a cmmg stainless, and I like it.

Little finicky about ammo, but I think all 22s are to some extent.

One thing to be very mindful of is that these kits slide right out-like a bolt carrier. If it hits the floor and has a round in it, it will fire. Some guy on this forum got shot in the leg that way a while back.

oops!

I have a cmmg stainless, and I like it.

Little finicky about ammo, but I think all 22s are to some extent.

One thing to be very mindful of is that these kits slide right out-like a bolt carrier. If it hits the floor and has a round in it, it will fire. Some guy on this forum got shot in the leg that way a while back.

I have the same kit as well and haven't had any issues. Of course it dirties up your rifle but nothing that cant be cleaned. I have never tested the accuracy but it always shoots good enough for close varmit shooting. Mine shoots great with thunderbolts. CMMG also has fantastic customer service. I once dropped my BCG and it dented the "barrel"/chamber adapter. I contacted CMMG and they sent a replacement chamber right away with no questions. This is a $70 part on their website!... Just keep that barrel protected at all times when it is out of the gun.

If you are planning on carrying it in the field and dropping it in, just know that there is a significant POI shift with 223 vs 22LR. 22 shoots about 8-10" low at 50 yards. Don't know how you will account for that in the field unless you swap scopes or have some great BUIS.

I have the same kit as well and haven't had any issues. Of course it dirties up your rifle but nothing that cant be cleaned. I have never tested the accuracy but it always shoots good enough for close varmit shooting. Mine shoots great with thunderbolts. CMMG also has fantastic customer service. I once dropped my BCG and it dented the "barrel"/chamber adapter. I contacted CMMG and they sent a replacement chamber right away with no questions. This is a $70 part on their website!... Just keep that barrel protected at all times when it is out of the gun.

If you are planning on carrying it in the field and dropping it in, just know that there is a significant POI shift with 223 vs 22LR. 22 shoots about 8-10" low at 50 yards. Don't know how you will account for that in the field unless you swap scopes or have some great BUIS.

Certainly not expecting good accuracy at distance. I have a few ideas though. Irons to 22 optic to 556. I can make that work. I'm going to make a kydex tube lined with something to attach to my gear to carry it.

1. My AR is 1:7 twist. How will that effect shooting 22? - It will not be very accurate. Too much twist and slightly different bore diameter. The bullet will also have to jump from the conversion tube into the rifling of the barrel. If just wanting to plink around, no big deal. But don't expect great things out of it.

2. Will different 22 ammo be better or worse? Specifically subsonic ammo? - Depends on the unit. Keep it clean and lubed. Won't run CCI Quiest, but should run standard velocity stuff fine.

3. Can I use a 556 suppressor with it? I know to have a suppressor I can take apart and clean to counteract lead build up. - Just get a 22 can. Lead weld would be a ***** in an expensive 556/30 cal can and not worth it, IMHO.

4. What are some things, problems or concerns I haven't considered? - Gumming up the rifle in general. Specifically, you will clog the gas tube pretty quickly in comparison to not shooting 22. Not a big deal as they are cheap to replace, but still of note. 22 is dirty stuff. Everything will get nasty, especially if suppressing it.

My suggestion? Build a dedicated 22 upper. With the conversion kits hanging around $200 or so new, you won't spend much more building a dedicated upper and you will appreciate having it down the road. AR parts are cheap now. I run a CMMG 4.5 inch kit on my SBR. Love it. Accurate as well.

While I appreciate the advice I don't know how many times I have to say "I don't want to have to carry an extra upper with me". I understand that would be the best resulting firearm. As that is not an option, I am looking for a less than perfect solution and trying to manage it's shortcomings as best I can while living within them. If I wanted to carry another firearm I have plenty of 22 options that would be just as convenient to carry as a dedicated 22 upper.

While I appreciate the advice I don't know how many times I have to say "I don't want to have to carry an extra upper with me". I understand that would be the best resulting firearm. As that is not an option, I am looking for a less than perfect solution and trying to manage it's shortcomings as best I can while living within them. If I wanted to carry another firearm I have plenty of 22 options that would be just as convenient to carry as a dedicated 22 upper.

At least you don't get easily offended. Pretty sure that I answered your questions and simply provided an end opinion. But hell, as you post said, you know everything.

Here's your simple answer.....CMMG has what you're looking for, I've heard less complaints out of the CMMG than any of the others and you'll damage a 5.56 suppressor over time trying to use it for 22LR.

If anything, you'll have a good time tinkering with it and making it run like you want with the different types of ammo. CCI ran the best in the ones I used. Sometimes what we want to do has been proven by others not to work well or anything like we have in mind. We're just trying to same you some headache.

At least you don't get easily offended. Pretty sure that I answered your questions and simply provided an end opinion. But hell, as you post said, you know everything.

Wasn't trying to express being offended. I did appreciate the answers to my questions. I had just stated a couple times that the dedicated upper wasn't an option even though that is certainly the way to get the best 22 firearm on an AR platform. Sorry if my post came off very negatively.

Back
Top Bottom