• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.22 or .25 - Please advise

I have taken a .22 high velocity hp to the thigh at a range of about 18 inches. It was very hot, but not painful in the least. I was able to walk around after being shot, and would have still had 100 percent of my fight in me. It wasn't until around the 30 minute mark before it started hurting, and even then, my leg just stiffened up. The bullet struck bone, and slid down to just over my knee cap. I wasn't in any real pain until the day after, and even then it was minimal.

Not really a fan of the 22 or the 25 for defensive purposes. If you are stuck on using one, I would recommend the 22, and would also recommend head shots, or at least dump the mag into the chest. I'll stick with bigger bullets myself.

This my experience when I took a .22 mag to the leg from a NAA revolver. If the guy hadn't have done it by accident, I would have fed it to him before he could get it cocked again.

Luke

I have taken a .22 high velocity hp to the thigh at a range of about 18 inches. It was very hot, but not painful in the least. I was able to walk around after being shot, and would have still had 100 percent of my fight in me. It wasn't until around the 30 minute mark before it started hurting, and even then, my leg just stiffened up. The bullet struck bone, and slid down to just over my knee cap. I wasn't in any real pain until the day after, and even then it was minimal.

Not really a fan of the 22 or the 25 for defensive purposes. If you are stuck on using one, I would recommend the 22, and would also recommend head shots, or at least dump the mag into the chest. I'll stick with bigger bullets myself.

True, but a leg shot isn't where you take the fight out of anyone.... All about vital organs. Soon I plan on going back to a self defense caliber, but for now, the 22lr will suffice. But just as your post stated, it hit bone and continued to travel causing more damage. Granted your leg still had movement, but in the chest or abdominal cavity, your looking at serious pain or death, and a headshoy might as well be game over. Them again, ppl have walked away from 12 gauge blasts and died instantly from a 22... I just prefer the 22 to a 32 or 25 due to practice costs and ballistics. Nooot a fan of the 380, low energy in a heavy large projectile, too easy to be stopped.

I have seen the results of .22s, some minor injuries (yes walking around) and some DRT.

Only witnessed one .25 shot, it literally bounced of the side of the dudes head.

Neither is an effective man stopper, but both can kill. If I was forced to carry one or the other I would go with the .22

True, but a leg shot isn't where you take the fight out of anyone.... All about vital organs. Soon I plan on going back to a self defense caliber, but for now, the 22lr will suffice. But just as your post stated, it hit bone and continued to travel causing more damage. Granted your leg still had movement, but in the chest or abdominal cavity, your looking at serious pain or death, and a headshoy might as well be game over. Them again, ppl have walked away from 12 gauge blasts and died instantly from a 22... I just prefer the 22 to a 32 or 25 due to practice costs and ballistics. Nooot a fan of the 380, low energy in a heavy large projectile, too easy to be stopped.

you relly blow me away. go back to all your posts and threads giving people hell for their choice in guns and calibers. geez! down you're broke and carry a 22 and its the best there is. man you kill me.

you relly blow me away. go back to all your posts and threads giving people hell for their choice in guns and calibers. geez! down you're broke and carry a 22 and its the best there is. man you kill me.
Lol, a 22 is far from best there is and I don't intend on staying wit this for self defense. Never said it was a one hitter quitter, but it will hopefully cause enough damage to let me get away. Rather something than nothing. If it's adequate enough for poachers to drop deer with, then adequate enough to drop ppl with. Would I prefer a 9mm? Yup, prolly trade for one after this weekend.'

Lol, a 22 is far from best there is and I don't intend on staying wit this for self defense. Never said it was a one hitter quitter, but it will hopefully cause enough damage to let me get away. Rather something than nothing. If it's adequate enough for poachers to drop deer with, then adequate enough to drop ppl with. Would I prefer a 9mm? Yup, prolly trade for one after this weekend.'
Btw, I didn't mean to even try to imply the 22 was better than a 12 gauge, but it all has to do with what gets damaged, where the shot lands, and whether or not youve got the cards in your favor...

Back
Top Bottom