22 rimfire bullet trap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I just bought 22 rim fire bullet trap and it works like a champ inside. Great for practicing my off hand shooting. I tried today and it didn't move 1mm when the projectile hit the back stop. Has anybody tried a 22 mag. in the one Champion makes? This going to have buying 22LR ammo more often but I have a good source for it so that's no big deal. I would like to practice with my 22mag. but I am a bit reserved until I have an actual real life account of it being done.

Attachments

• 1659730666751214419226214201523.jpg
    1659730666751214419226214201523.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 290
I am also thinking of fitting a thick piece of plywood to break some of the speed from the 22mag ammo or something to that effect. I am pretty sure I can come up with something permeable and effective to put in front of the trap that would be a effective break for the extra power.

Inside? I'd be very hesitant putting the lead into your house.

As far as stepping up to a 22mag, I don't know, and no one will with no information provided about the actual trap, but I highly doubt that it would be safe for a 22mag if only rated for 22lr.

And something like plywood won't do anything in the longrun. 22lr itself blasts right through 3/4 plywood. And, a few shots, and it would all be broken down.

This is one of those things where playing stupid games can win you stupid prizes.

The trick will be finding a material that doesn't make a ridiculous mess as you shoot it to bits.

Maybe a sheet of that self-healing, reactive target rubber that they make these things out of.

1659734424728.png

As RD10 says though - not sure that I'd be shooting 22WMag at anything that's only rated for 22LR.

Inside? I'd be very hesitant putting the lead into your house.

As far as stepping up to a 22mag, I don't know, and no one will with no information provided about the actual trap, but I highly doubt that it would be safe for a 22mag if only rated for 22lr.

And something like plywood won't do anything in the longrun. 22lr itself blasts right through 3/4 plywood. And, a few shots, and it would all be broken down.

This is one of those things where playing stupid games can win you stupid prizes.
It stopped the lead dead cold. Worked just like it claims.

It stopped the lead dead cold. Worked just like it claims.
It's not the lead from the 22lr passing through the trap that I'm referring to. You are introducing lead dust into the air in your house. Is a few rounds gonna matter? No. Bust setting up a practice range inside your house is a whole other matter.

There is no safe level for lead in the human bloodstream

Years ago I fired over 50 rounds of 38 special lead wadcutters into one of those traps. I done it outside from 25 feet just to see how it would work. It didn’t hurt the trap, although I did find some tiny lead flakes 5-7 feet back from the trap.

I think you will be safe to shoot all lead bullets from a 22 mag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom