• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22 Silencer, which one?

5 minutes for a form 4 and associated paperwork package,
including fingerprints and passport photographs
to comply with rule 41F?

Who spiked that Kool-Aid you're drinking?

to comply with rule 41F?

Barking up the wrong tree. I've done this more than once. Many times in fact. Hell, 4x just on 22 cans alone. Hell, doing another 30 cal can right now. All from the comfort of my kitchen table.

If you use the silencershop kiosk, it saves your fingerprints for future uses. Easy peezy.

Or, you can do your fingerprints yourself at home. The ATF will actually send you everything except the inkpad for free. Easy peezy.

You can do your passport photos on your iphone or android. Eezy peezy.

So, how are you making this more difficult than it needs to be?

A few weeks ago, I tested CCI Quiet ammo out of my 18" barreled (non -threaded) .22 rifle, in my garage, with the door open.
I thought, "this is so quiet, I don't think having a silencer on this gun would make much of a difference."

Yesterday I was shooting out in the woods, and I did that test. Except it was with a different Ruger 10/22 that had a 22" long threaded barrel. Fired three shots without any suppressor. Then quickly put the can on and fired two more. The suppressor barely made a difference. Maybe enough to notice, but surely not much of a reduction in noise to justify the NFA compliance costs and hassles associated with a silencer, if all you want to do is plink at your backyard range without disturbing the neighbors.

Then, I tested the can on / can off difference with full-power, high velocity supersonic ammo. This batch was Remington Golden Bullets. I've done this test before with CCI Mini Mags, too.
A few shots with the can, and a few shots without the can, all in under a minute.
Not much difference there, either! Those supersonic rounds make a sharp "crack" no matter what, and the silencer didn't mitigate the overall noise level much.

(The bullet impact was not significant either-- I aimed at the rotting stump of a long-dead tree. I didn't hear any bullet impact from that, like I would, and had earlier in the day, shooting suppressed rimfires into freshly-cut hardwood, dirt berms, or metal plate targets.)

CONCLUSION: In .22LR rifles, a suppressor / silencer is only "worth it" if you need semi-auto operation and a bullet that comes close to, but does not exceed, Mach 1.0. Meaning, standard velocity or match-grade ammo, or ammo marked as "subsonic." That kind of ammunition is what a rimfire silencer is best at quieting.

Which suppressor are you using for your "tests"? With CCI Quiet, there's not going to be a huge difference between suppressed vs unsuppressed out of a 22" barrel, the round is barely making it out of the barrel to begin with. But with a good suppressor, you should be able to hear the firing pin.

to comply with rule 41F?

Go to QuietRiot, the use the kiosk and it is quick and pain free.
I have a Rugged Oculus .22 can and it is a hell of a lot quieter than without while shooting low velocity CCI and Semi-Auto CCI. CCI Quiets in a bolt action is Hollywood quiet.

Barking up the wrong tree. I've done this more than once. Many times in fact. Hell, 4x just on 22 cans alone. Hell, doing another 30 cal can right now. All from the comfort of my kitchen table.

If you use the silencershop kiosk, it saves your fingerprints for future uses. Easy peezy.

Or, you can do your fingerprints yourself at home. The ATF will actually send you everything except the inkpad for free. Easy peezy.

Shop I use even took the pictures and it uploaded right to the kiosk. 10-15 minute process and off I went. Finger prints are good for a year and I can order what i want online.

The process could not get much easier, only cheaper and less wait time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I ordered my Rugged Obsidian 45 Black Friday before last at 3am while lying in bed on my iPad. Not sure how much easier it can be?

What can were you shooting? I had some friends kids at a cabin a few weeks ago. Had a 77/22 bolt gun and a variety of ammo. Quiets, cci standard and some high velocity. We shot all of them with the can on and then with the can off. In all cases there was a noticeable increase in noise with the can off. Can was a dead air mask.

Go to QuietRiot, the use the kiosk and it is quick and pain free.
I have a Rugged Oculus .22 can and it is a hell of a lot quieter than without while shooting low velocity CCI and Semi-Auto CCI. CCI Quiets in a bolt action is Hollywood quiet.

I am looking at this can right now. I have a old S Sparrow and love it but this one is catching my eye.

Back
Top Bottom