• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.22 suppressed

Phydoux

Default rank <3000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Violent pacifist
103   0
Reaction score
Ok, I know how barrel length plays into keeping.22 sv and some hv quiet. But some noise comes from the ejection port on simi autos. I’ve shot several outside without hearing protection, and have 6 pistol hosts as well as suppressors to match em. It does seem that my mini mags are louder in some hosts as opposed to others, I’m assuming that’s from the noise escaping from the ejection, and a quicker slide. My PPK/s is quieter than my M&P compact, same ammo same silencer. So I can assume my PPK/s has a faster slide?
Basically just making conversation on something different than posts about wait times. What say y’all that know far more than me?

Why do you think quieter = faster?

The most important questions are:

Which is more accurate?
Wet or dry?
I’m talking about the noise you get from semi auto pistols, from the ejection port, and the amount of time the slide is back, and noise is released. My oculus and mask are super quiet wet or dry. And sv Ammo stays subsonic but I notice a little more noise over shooting subsonic ammo coming from the ejection. This is something I notice outside without ears on. No difference in a range with ears.
Just curious if anyone else notices it in rimfire pistol hosts

With all things equal like ammo, same day testing, suppressor used and such there is a difference between guns and sound. Some of it might be the tone while others a just louder. I wouldn't say the faster one is gonna be the louder on but I'd say the one thats bolt opens first is gonna be the louder. So typically whichever has a heavier bolt is gonna stay closed longer and will sound better. But tone come into play, what the slide is made of, how the bolt hits the barrel face, at what speed it hits the barrel face, what material the lower is made of. All of this is gonna play a role in the tone that is given off. This isn't counting any differences in suppressors used also which have their own tone.

My testing of my threaded barrel Ruger 10/22 with a suppressor on it shows that a 22 short will be louder than a 22 Long or LR of the equivalent power rating --i.e. both high speed / high velocity or both standard velocity.

I think it's because the shorter case of the 22 short cartridge will reach the end of the chamber sooner during the extraction cycle. And once it clears the chamber, noisy hot gas will vent from the breech end of the barrel.

With "long@ or "long rifle" ammo, the brass case is 1/10th of an inch longer,
and that lets the barrel stay sealed at the back end a little longer,
dissipating the pressure a bit.

I've metered probably 1,000+ rounds of .22LR.

The extra propellent in mini-mag say over SV has to go SOMEWHERE right?

It's gonna explode so you are either gonna get it out of the muzzle end (mini mag iirc is 2-3dB louder than SV out of the same host) and/or from the ejection port.

Back
Top Bottom