• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.22 suppressor host?

Ddanielsdcd

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
137   1
Reaction score
Looking for .22 suppressor host advice...pistol or rifle! Not looking to spend a ton if rifle, maybe up to $500 on pistol. My main use for the weapons will be squirrel hunting and plinking. Whatcha got??

For plinking, the Magpul version of the Smith and Wesson 15-22 can't be beat. I find myself burning through the 25 round mags in a heartbeat, and when you add in a Silencerco Sparrow suppressor, oh man.......the ultimate fun gun. Next step is a Slidefire stock!

It's even accurate, too, so there's no reason not to hunt with it if you desire.

I own guns that cost much, much more than that one, but I think the 15-22 is almost definitely the most fun, for me.

The Savage FV-SR is awesome for a suppressed bolt gun.

My favorite of the .22 semi-auto pistols is the Browning Buckmark - haven't tried it with a can yet, though....but I've heard it does well.

The Savage FV-SR is awesome for a suppressed bolt gun.

My favorite of the .22 semi-auto pistols is the Browning Buckmark - haven't tried it with a can yet, though....but I've heard it does well.

My buckmark does excellent with my warlock2. and since shoot suppressed 22 is so dirty and the buckmark is much easier to clean than the 22/45;mark 2/3 rugers it is that much more appealing.

Ruger SR22 pistol & Ruger American Rimfire youth length rifle . You can get both for just over 500.00

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 199
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Ruger American 22 Threaded barrel or Savage FV-SR covers the rifle.

GSG-1911 22 covers the pistol.

Done.
I have been thinking about a bolt gun as a host and have also narrowed it down to these two as well. NWSharpshooter, can you give me a tiny bit of feedback on the attributes of each. Possible pros and cons if you will. Assuming that you own both which I think that you do. Accuracy? Trigger? Thank you in advance.

Mark III with a pac-lite upper. I bought a new SS mark III, and pac-lite 4.5" upper. Sold the OEM SS upper on here within hours, for $100. Overall cost was under $500. You could probably bring that overall cost down to $400 depending on what model Ruger you get.

sil1.jpg

For .22LR handgun hunting the Ruger Mark series or the Browning Buckmark series. Get one threaded from the factory and save a bit of coin. The 22/45 threaded series offers a lot. Scope the pistol and it's surprising just how accurate from a rest they can be. I prefer to hunt small game with a pistol as it offers more challenge and gives the critter a bit more of an edge that I'll never offer with a long gun.

I have heard but can't confirm that the Ruger 22/45 series is not quite as accurate as the Mark I-III series. It's a solid fixed barrel/sight system so it's inherently accurate based on design. These short guns will shoot most bulk pack sub-sonic. The example I shot suppressed-free hand without a rest seemed very accurate with irons.

A threaded bolt rifle .22 LR makes great sense as more issues with sub-sonic rounds and semi-auto function occur. However, I use a dedicated AR upper that has a system mirroring the S&W MP 15-22. It's an awful lot of fun, more so with a suppressor. It won't cycle Remington Subs well but runs like a scalded dog with Winchester Subs. Mine is very accurate and I use it to pop varmints from time to time.

Here is a pic at 25 yards, green 1" dots, 10 round groups, rested on a gym bag, various ammo used, minute of squirrel head:

i62.tinypic.com_2q9khdx.jpg

The pink dots on the left were shot with an open sighted Ruger Mark II. Old eyes make seeing the sight blade clearly a challenge.

You won't find that kind of accuracy on a pistol that has a slide that the sights affix to, even if the barrel is fixed. The S&W MP 22, The Walther P22 and others with a similar design are a lot of fun but not what I would specify for hunting. I did take a couple of tree rats with a suppressed S&W MP-22 but the distances were very close 15 yards or less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom