• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22 suppressor

I have a dead air mask and that joker is quiet. I love it and it is the cats meow. Great can with a low first round pop. No matter what you get cleaning a 22 can is not the fun part. I'm going to strongly suggest that you get stainless steel baffles and NOT aluminum internals. You will find you have more cleaning options with stainless steel vs aluminum. I choose baffles over monocore design as well. There are a lot of great choices so do your homework and find what's right for you.

I'll add another vote for Dead Air Mask. Shot one at the Quiet Riot event in the spring and it sounded great with no FRP. I was also very impressed by the silencerco osprey micro but the mount requirement was a negative in my mind.

I got a Sparrow which at the time was the best 22 can out due to its clamshell design. Its stainless steel so you can dip it and its smaller in size. That said it does has some first round pop.

PS Mike Pappas is a cool dude

My silencer is an AAC "Pilot" that's about 10 years old.
It's quiet, but to my ears it's not any more or less quiet than any other .22 can, and I've fired several side-by-side with other NFA stamp collectors.
I probably paid more than I needed to, but that's what my dealer had in stock when I finally made the decision to buy one and get some of my guns' barrels threaded, so..

AS FOR THE HOST WEAPONS:

I had my factory 10/22 barrel threaded, and later I bought a different barrel and threaded that, too.
10 years ago it was not as easy to find quality barrels that were factory muzzle threaded 1/2" x 28 turns per inch as it is today.
I don't think I'd pay a gunsmith to thread my barrels if I were starting from scratch-- I'd buy some new host weapons that come that way from the factory.

The 10/22 is reliable and fun as a suppressor host, but it's NOISY. The action noise is significant. And if you shoot shorts or CB's, the bolt opens while there's still a lot of pressure in the chamber, so you have noise escaping from the ejection port too. I did replace my steel buffer pin with a synthetic one, but that's not really helping a lot.

If you want ultra-quiet, you need a manually-cycled action. Lever, pump, or bolt.

For handguns, I've had a Walther P22 that was a lot of fun, but it wore out. I don't like the low quality pot metal it's made of.
My current host pistol is a Browning Buck Mark, and I like that very much. Buckmarks are available now factory-threaded, and you can also get replacement barrels from aftermarket makers.

NOTE: If you have a 3" or shorter barrel, any 36-40 grain ammo will be subsonic, due to incomplete gunpowder combustion.
But with the 5.5" barrel on my BuckMark, I need to use standard velocity or "match" or "subsonic" ammo to stay under Mach 1.0
For the rifles, same thing. Nearly all "standard velocity" ammo actually comes out subsonic, but occasionally one will pop. "Subsonic" ammo is always quiet.

P.S. There is such a thing as "first round pop" when firing your first shot through a cold suppressor.

My Savage FV-SR is scary quiet. Rifle I recommend one of those. Pistols I have a SR22 but I would look at the Sig/GSG 1911, Walther PPK in 22 and the M&P 22C.

Back
Top Bottom