• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22 target ammo capability

Took some match 22LR I had on hand to range with my RimX and Magnetospeed v3.

Started with SK Standard + but chrono did not pickup - had to increase sensitivity. All shot at 100 yards in same conditions. Bipod and rear bag off stable bench. 60ish and cloudy but minimal wind. All 10 shot groups.

SK Standard + = 1 inch wide by 2 inch tall Avg 1033 SD 19.0
SK Flatpoint Target = 2 inch by 2 inch (discontinued ammo?) Avg 1044 SD 10.7
SK Pistol Match = 1 inch wide by 2 inch tall Avg 1037 SD 11.7
SK Long Range Match = 1inch x 1 inch (of course, only had one partial box leftover from B14R testing!) Avg 1061 SD 10.4
SK Biathlon Sport = 1 inch by 2+ inches (interesting as Biathlon was GREAT in B14R in past) Avg 1072 SD of 16.6
SK Pistol Match Special - forgot to bring sample normally similar speed to Biathlon
SK Rifle Match - got 22 boxes in bound for next test (all available from that vendor)

Also note that SK Biathlon always shoots "high". Yes, slightly faster but internet rumors are uses a different lube for cold weather and possibly different powder for cold weather. Same internet says Biathlon is just sorted out as lower performing Long Range Match though.

According to internet SK has Standard Velocity target ammo and Standard Velocity + target ammo that is sorted by lot testing for the "different color boxes.
SK Standard Velocity = Rifle Match > Standard + > Pistol Match
SK Standard + Velocity = Long Range Match > Biathlon > Pistol Match Special

I reshot the SK Biathlon Sport (next 10 rounds from same box) and got 1inch by 1inch group similar to SK LR and SD of 6.6.
Not pictured - RWS Rifle Match was 1 inch wide by 2 inch tall - Avg 1083 SD 11.3 (20 shots) - and impacted significantly higher than SK - had to reduce elevation .2 mils. RWS projectile higher BC? Only had a partial box of RWS match

My observations from years of 22lr - almost any 22lr shoots good at 25 and most shoot fine at 50 yards. 100 yards starts to show the differences especially for PRS22. The SK Biathlon above shows the frustrating part of 22 - one 10 shot group fell apart (16.6 SD) and next 10 shot group exciting (7 SD) from same box.

Attachments

• IMG_3271.jpg
    IMG_3271.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 43
Took some match 22LR I had on hand to range with my RimX and Magnetospeed v3.

Started with SK Standard + but chrono did not pickup - had to increase sensitivity. All shot at 100 yards in same conditions. Bipod and rear bag off stable bench. 60ish and cloudy but minimal wind. All 10 shot groups.

SK Standard + = 1 inch wide by 2 inch tall Avg 1033 SD 19.0
SK Flatpoint Target = 2 inch by 2 inch (discontinued ammo?) Avg 1044 SD 10.7
SK Pistol Match = 1 inch wide by 2 inch tall Avg 1037 SD 11.7
SK Long Range Match = 1inch x 1 inch (of course, only had one partial box leftover from B14R testing!) Avg 1061 SD 10.4
SK Biathlon Sport = 1 inch by 2+ inches (interesting as Biathlon was GREAT in B14R in past) Avg 1072 SD of 16.6
SK Pistol Match Special - forgot to bring sample normally similar speed to Biathlon
SK Rifle Match - got 22 boxes in bound for next test (all available from that vendor)

Also note that SK Biathlon always shoots "high". Yes, slightly faster but internet rumors are uses a different lube for cold weather and possibly different powder for cold weather. Same internet says Biathlon is just sorted out as lower performing Long Range Match though.

According to internet SK has Standard Velocity target ammo and Standard Velocity + target ammo that is sorted by lot testing for the "different color boxes.
SK Standard Velocity = Rifle Match > Standard + > Pistol Match
SK Standard + Velocity = Long Range Match > Biathlon > Pistol Match Special

I reshot the SK Biathlon Sport (next 10 rounds from same box) and got 1inch by 1inch group similar to SK LR and SD of 6.6.
Not pictured - RWS Rifle Match was 1 inch wide by 2 inch tall - Avg 1083 SD 11.3 (20 shots) - and impacted significantly higher than SK - had to reduce elevation .2 mils. RWS projectile higher BC? Only had a partial box of RWS match

My observations from years of 22lr - almost any 22lr shoots good at 25 and most shoot fine at 50 yards. 100 yards starts to show the differences especially for PRS22. The SK Biathlon above shows the frustrating part of 22 - one 10 shot group fell apart (16.6 SD) and next 10 shot group exciting (7 SD) from same box.
What is your set up and what does your cleaning routine look like? All the sd’s are a little on the high side to be ideal.

This was me playing with tenex and my tuner Saturday. I'm awful at group shooting. But I went 20 for 20 at 200 yards on a 2 1/2 steel target

All the test shots and FPS.
106136.jpeg

This was the test tuner test.
And then confirm just to see.
Top left was set to zero
20230225_112138.jpg

20230225_113309.jpg

This is 15 shots @ 100 set on the 0 mark on the tuner.
106026.jpeg

But when it boils down to it, its all what your rifle likes and not what you want to shoot.

Now for some eley match testing. I normally shoot CX with the same and a tad better than above.

Shot some more groups with my RimX with Shilen Select barrel (22 inch) with C2 Match chamber. Barrel freshly cleaned (and the cold bore fouling group shot much better than expected). All groups 100 yards off solid bench with bipod and rear bag. All similar weather conditions with mild wind with occasional gusts - tried to shoot between the gusts bit couple of projectiles got blown some. Looking for PRS22 competition ammo. I understand that unfortunately all 22lr is lot dependent and I am finding variations in same box (one group of 10 = SD 17 and same box next group of 10 = SD 7). Based on C Beck comments tried some Eley Team and Match (was able to buy individual boxes to try lots). SK Rile Match (aka Red Box) did very well. SK LR Match did not do as well this test. The Eley Team and Match show promise (some of the team was fast!).

Attachments

• IMG_3291.jpg
    IMG_3291.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3292.jpg
    IMG_3292.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 35
Continue to refine 22LR ammo for my RimX in prep for upcoming matches. Luckily seemed to have scored a very good lot of SK Rifle Match (Red Box) and Eley Team. Had great luck with SK Biathlon in past but this lot has more SD. Both of these performed well at 100 yards. Shot at 50 yards to confirm zero (had to come down) in preparation for developing dope at distance. Entered into Kestrel with AB using velocities from Magnetospeed and used the "custom curves". Pleasantly surprised that Kestrel data was confirmed to 230 yards with all SK Rifle Match, SK Long Range Match and the Eley Team (Team faster with higher 50 yard zero so I fudged the elevation down .1 to .2 MIL).

Attachments

• IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 25
Tried Norma Match 22 (not the TAC22). Obviously made by RWS. Decent groups but SD about 13 in my RimX. Shot the recent Patrol Rifle Match with it (PRS22 type format) and I do not think I missed any targets due to ammo. Gut feel it is better than CCI SV, maybe similar to SK Standard +. Seems to be available currently.

Back
Top Bottom