• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223/556 for Pigs

buttplate

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
When hunting pigs with 223/556 do you use do you use HP or FMFOr does it matter. I want to use my AR and would like to recover the pigs for processing. I do not want to shoot and them just run off to die.

Input appreciated.

A good friend, (his real name was Bullet, given at birth) took me pig hunting in south Ga a few years ago, we both shot 3 gun competitions together so he insisted I bring my AR. We went in to a power line and within an hour saw a wavy line of pigs starting to cross the wide power line area and they were about 300 yards away. We went back into brush and palmetto and started that way, when we got within 100 yards, since we were using iron sights, we both opened up side by side with 30 round mags. I did have the forethought to get 2 boxes of HPBT 69 grain rounds. Half way thru the mags, I had to cover my ears for a sec, then back to firing. Pigs were dropping, squealing and running in circles, we finally stopped firing and about 16 were down, some still, some rolling and squealing, the rest ran into the palmettos. we approached the downed pigs and it was really easy to tell who shot which, some looked like they had been stuck with an icepick, those were his 55 grain fmj's the others had a tiny entry hole but a 2-3" exit, those obviously were the HPBT's. WE could hear wounded squealing in the palmettos and he wanted to go in after them with out Glocks, which we had been popping armadillos with all day. About 10 yards into the waist deep palmettos, I stopped and did a mag check, only had 7 -45's left in my G21, I asked him to do the same and he was down to 5 in his G17, I said lets get out and started backing out into the clearing, he walked within a couple feet of a boar, wounded and angry and it started after him as we approached the clearing, we both emptied our remaining rounds into it and it finally laid still.
That was my last pig hunt, afterthought made me decide it wasn't worth the fun we had to just kill whatever ran out, I guess I had a Zen moment and decided never again.
So, in short, use the heavier HP or SP to hunt and kill pigs.

What they said above, a good bullet made for the job. As always shot placement is king. 70gr TSX, 64gr Speer Gold Dot, 77gr BTHP, are just some I've had success with. Head, upper neck in spine, heart/lungs. And know the limits of this caliber, a heat or lung shot might not put a pig down fast so be ready to shoot until it is down if you want a fast recovery.

(Hog in my pic was taken with a ear shot at 55 yards with 64gr Speer Gold Dots)

A good friend, (his real name was Bullet, given at birth) took me pig hunting in south Ga a few years ago, we both shot 3 gun competitions together so he insisted I bring my AR. We went in to a power line and within an hour saw a wavy line of pigs starting to cross the wide power line area and they were about 300 yards away. We went back into brush and palmetto and started that way, when we got within 100 yards, since we were using iron sights, we both opened up side by side with 30 round mags. I did have the forethought to get 2 boxes of HPBT 69 grain rounds. Half way thru the mags, I had to cover my ears for a sec, then back to firing. Pigs were dropping, squealing and running in circles, we finally stopped firing and about 16 were down, some still, some rolling and squealing, the rest ran into the palmettos. we approached the downed pigs and it was really easy to tell who shot which, some looked like they had been stuck with an icepick, those were his 55 grain fmj's the others had a tiny entry hole but a 2-3" exit, those obviously were the HPBT's. WE could hear wounded squealing in the palmettos and he wanted to go in after them with out Glocks, which we had been popping armadillos with all day. About 10 yards into the waist deep palmettos, I stopped and did a mag check, only had 7 -45's left in my G21, I asked him to do the same and he was down to 5 in his G17, I said lets get out and started backing out into the clearing, he walked within a couple feet of a boar, wounded and angry and it started after him as we approached the clearing, we both emptied our remaining rounds into it and it finally laid still.
That was my last pig hunt, afterthought made me decide it wasn't worth the fun we had to just kill whatever ran out, I guess I had a Zen moment and decided never again.
So, in short, use the heavier HP or SP to hunt and kill pigs.
Well said, thanks.

What they said above, a good bullet made for the job. As always shot placement is king. 70gr TSX, 64gr Speer Gold Dot, 77gr BTHP, are just some I've had success with. Head, upper neck in spine, heart/lungs. And know the limits of this caliber, a heat or lung shot might not put a pig down fast so be ready to shoot until it is down if you want a fast recovery.

(Hog in my pic was taken with a ear shot at 55 yards with 64gr Speer Gold Dots)
Is that a pig in your avatar? If not send me some hog pics.

Back
Top Bottom