.223 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambo77

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
141   0
Reaction score
I have some loaded up hornady 50gr varmint rounds, we loaded them at an OAL of 2.200 checked every 5 rounds. But the problems came when I tried to chamber them in my savage 11, 44 of the 100 won't chamber all the way. I got so frustrated last night I didn't break out the calipers and double check the ones that didn't fit. Used a hornady ap press. Gonna check size again when I get home from work but I know size is within spec. I'm stumped on what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your Savage could have a "tight' chamber (I know, that's what she said) and as such may require the use of Small Base dies. I have several rifles including an M1A Supermatch and a Remington 700 that absolutely will not chamber any round what was loaded using a case sized with regular RCBS .308 dies. They must have a case sized fully (additional 1/8th turn on the die after making contact with the shell holder when setting) using SB dies.

Edited to add: You are on a progressive so a case gauge isn't going to do much good there. If you go single stage I'd use a LYMAN gauge (very tight, Dillon sucks) to check case size. A case that will gauge "correctly" in the Dillon case gauge will NOT fit the chambers of the two aforementioned rifles but any case that fits a Lyman gauge will chamber. I run every case through a LYMAN gauge after sizing, trimming, chamfering and deburring, but before annealing. If it doesn't fit it goes into the "re-resize" bucket.

Your Savage could have a "tight' chamber (I know, that's what she said) and as such may require the use of Small Base dies. I have several rifles including an M1A Supermatch and a Remington 700 that absolutely will not chamber any round what was loaded using a case sized with regular RCBS .308 dies. They must have a case sized fully (additional 1/8th turn on the die after making contact with the shell holder when setting) using SB dies.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep, full length size or small base dies. You would be surprised how much a 1/4 turn makes on your die. All shoulder case get their length from the shoulder, col is still used for bullet to land or magazine clearance. If you don't have a go/no gauge I would purchase one.
When I load shouldered cases all go through go/no gage, just to prevent firing out of battery.

2.200 shouldn't be an issue, I just measured some factory 55 grain and its 2.225. Do you have a case go/no go gauge?
no I don't.

Will they drop right into the chamber by hand?
yes, bolt will close about halfway if I go to close it.

Edited to add: You are on a progressive so a case gauge isn't going to do much good there. If you go single stage I'd use a LYMAN gauge (very tight, Dillon sucks) to check case size. A case that will gauge "correctly" in the Dillon case gauge will NOT fit the chambers of the two aforementioned rifles but any case that fits a Lyman gauge will chamber. I run every case through a LYMAN gauge after sizing, trimming, chamfering and deburring, but before annealing. If it doesn't fit it goes into the "re-resize" bucket.
the tight chamber is what I was thinking. I'm gonna recheck the measurements today, and I'll have an update this evening.

Thanks for y'alls input guys!

might not be a tight chamber, you are probably using reloaded AR brass correct? if so you need to do what palmettomoon said and completely full size your brass. I have some virgin LC brass you can use my case gauge to check yours

might not be a tight chamber, you are probably using reloaded AR brass correct? if so you need to do what palmettomoon said and completely full size your brass. I have some virgin LC brass you can use my case gauge to check yours
I assume it's ar brass. I know it's a mix 5.56 and .223. The 5.56 was all completely resized. It was brass that was given to me. I'm probably gonna pull everything and resize tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom