• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.223 help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again for the help guys. Just talked to my cousin who I reload with and he checked all measurements on his half of the ammo we loaded up and I believe we had a human error and didnt get all of it resized properly. 6 out of his 100 weren't proper size. That tells me 50 including my 44 didn't get resized properly or it was where We loaded 50 pieces that were "cleaned, resized, anf primed" by his uncle so I am thinking that might be the problem..

Easy enough to do. I loaded 400+ rounds of 308 "match" ammo using premium components prepared with the utmost care and ONE in THREE would NOT chamber in my Supermatch or my ridiculously expensive Rem 700 "build." That ammo went into the FAL and M1A standard ammo can, ouch. All could have been avoided if I'd sized them correctly. Who'd a thunk a half a thousandths of an inch could mean so much?

Get a chamber gauge.. and if they were fired from a generous AR chambered in 5.56 first they might be a little tight going to a true .223 chamber on a bolt gun. I've learned that on mine.

Easy enough to do. I loaded 400+ rounds of 308 "match" ammo using premium components prepared with the utmost care and ONE in THREE would NOT chamber in my Supermatch or my ridiculously expensive Rem 700 "build." That ammo went into the FAL and M1A standard ammo can, ouch. All could have been avoided if I'd sized them correctly. Who'd a thunk a half a thousandths of an inch could mean so much?
that is my exact thought on it. Just glad to have found the culprit.

Have you dropped them in a case gauge ? I second dropping them in a Lyman case gauge. I do this after I resize the brass and after I have a fully loaded round. It's an extra step but all my reloads have run 100% in semi autos and bolt guns.

A case gauge is an essential tool! When I prep brass for my semi autos I always full length resize, check with case gauge, and if needed trim. I highly recommend Lyman gauges as stated above. I had a Hornady gauge for .223 but it wasn't as tight as the Lyman I bought for .223. Now all of my gauges are Lyman. They aren't expensive either. Well worth it to avoid nightmares like you had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom